Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Bad news?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 08:04 PM
rangerman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad news?

I have heard from a couple of people that ford bought out cummins. Is this true? I sure hope not. But oh well, I guess I will be driving another Ford in the future. I sure hope it is a lie

Old 10-30-2007, 08:06 PM
bksram3500
Record Breaker
Default RE: Bad news?

Ford has owned stock in cummins for several years now. But they don't own it or control it.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:18 PM
finny
All Star

yah bk is right

Old 10-30-2007, 08:20 PM
rangerman
Professional

Good, I don't know what I would have done. This was a Ford ***got (daddy bought him a stang) at my school who said this and so did my brother. Thanks, I would rather be in a Dodge than a Ford anyday

Old 10-30-2007, 08:32 PM
ds06
Professional

i thought cummins broke off all relations a few years ago. It says on their website that they aren't related, iirc.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:54 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Ford USED TO own some shares in Cummins. TheyDO NOTnow.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:03 PM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

Didnt they sell their stock in exchange for dodge to not come out with a full four door truck?

Trending Topics

Old 10-31-2007, 11:56 PM
sa1765
Veteran

bill ford (ex ceo of ford) is on the board of cummins (even while he was ceo of ford). due to conflicts of interest, they (ford) couldn't use cummins engines in ford trucks-that's federal law. now that bill ford isn't ceo anymore, cummins will be the exclusive diesel engine of ford trucks starting in 2011 (end of dodge/cummins contract). that is why international-navistar is suing ford right now, because ford is working on a diesel engine that isn't international's design. they are claiming it is their design but ford is building it as their own. in reality, it is a cummins design that is going into the f150/expedition. it's a 4.5 liter I-6. supposed to be about the best diesel engine in development right now. dodge is trying to get a contract with mercedes to continue to develop a slightly larger version of the 3L v-6 that's used in the grand cherokee right now to be put into the 1/2 ton rams. as of right now, it's doubtful that a cummins will be in a dodge after the 2010 model year. there are rumors of a dodge ram with a cat engine, but cat says they don't have the production capacity to manufacture another engine for consumer use that will meet federal emmisions requirements and wants to stick with the big stuff. there are also rumors of a joint venture between chrysler and hyundia of korea to continue to develop a larger diesel engine suitable for large trucks. hyundia is currently using small 2 and 3 liter engines in their non-U.S. vehicles. the next year or two will be very interesting for the heavy duty truck market due to the big 3 having major changes w/ drivetrain and toyota and nissan introducing trucks to not only compete in the market, but to raise the bar by about 3 levels. toyota is claiming it will have a v-8 diesel that creates over 750lb-ft/480hp stock and can get over 26mpg highway. payload options as high as 6k lb, and 5th wheel towing as high as 25k lb. nissan hasn't made any statements as of yet about their trucks capabilities or specs, but they are expected to be on par with toyota.

now, if you think any of this is crap, congrats. you have an IQ high enough to work for our government. if you believe this, feel free to pass it on to any of your friends.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:02 AM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

Very interesting. I see the future being very exciting.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:32 AM
mileshuff
Professional

I still doubt any of the Ford/Cummins Rumor. They have been saying Ford will get the Cummins engine every few years as the Dodge contract expires. Each time the contract gets renewed and the rumors are then extended out once again. The Dodge contract expired in 2006 and was renewed through 2011 just as it had been in years prior and will most likely be again 2011.

Quick Reply: Bad news?