Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

alright, well here we go

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:00 PM
woligator
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: alright, well here we go

cowboy bob,i do that often shifting to find a 7th gear
and whit my 3.55s im buzing only 1800 at 70MPH thanks to my 35' tires so drew ur deeply in pain buddy

Old 11-08-2007, 09:35 PM
jakebrake
Champion

I'm used to having between 13 and 18 gears. Makes it a little wierd going for 7th and nothing is there[8D]

Old 11-09-2007, 12:17 AM
02cummins
Captain

man i want my truck to haul ***

Old 11-09-2007, 08:07 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 02cummins

man i want my truck to haul ***

he he he

[IMG]local://upfiles/7365/CAF2CAD8EA25436B8809E66F8D4BA9A1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-09-2007, 08:19 AM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

thats how i am..after seeing drews and nicks fly! and i have soo much cash in my second gen...i wanta sell it and get a 3rd gen!

Old 11-09-2007, 09:11 AM
02cummins
Captain

well if it wasnt for the edge juice/attitude($800), full exhaust($600-700), and lift wheels an tires($3000), and i ran hurculiner along the entire bottom, and kick panels($150), and in my bed...put a cd player in and about to order a fass system today i thnk, it would be goin down the road for a 3rd gen, but i got this truck with 51,000 miles on it, its mint and needs nothing but add ons that i want, plus the 2nd gens look more rugged when lifted etc to me, and besides i had a 3rd gen gas truck before this one, and took a step back for the cummins. my truck will be a bad *** reliable truck when i put some more money into it, thats all. i had all the bells and whistles and emote start etc...i want all manual stuff, nothing luxury on this truck. after all, its an off road TRUCK, im gonna stick with goin back to the roots of a mans truck, haha

Old 11-11-2007, 10:28 AM
R0oster31
Veteran

well I've had both the TST powermax comp box (old one with no guages or safety features) and the edge juice/attitude. I don't know if it was something else but the edge just doesn't compare with the TST. The TST is a really hot chip though, I could peg my pyro real easy, not good. The TST especially on higher settings was amazing, unfortunately it fried itself (internal circuit broke), they fixed it but I think they reflashed it with a more moderate program.(I've only run it a little bit since I got it fixed and I was having trouble with the pump wire connection and I really like the turbo timer of the Edge but didn't have a new turbo to hold the EGT in check so the TST has been turned off) I've got the same rearend as you and the first time I turned the chip up to 9 it broke the tires free in 4th (that was before the new turbo, water meth, and injector pump), the road was very slightly damp, but I wasn't expecting the kind of throttle response that chip gave. It was hard to drive smooth on the top levels, but boy was it fun, the truck just wanted to go, you had to back out of the throttle when you started going up a hill because the TST fueled based on boost and on the high levels it would start to add fuel at 2 psi and when it started to fuel the boost goes up, so it would start to dump fuel in, once it hit about 5 psi if you didn't back out real quick it would be about 2 seconds before it would go to the high 30s. On a short hill in town if you weren't paying attention it would jump 10 or 15 mph faster. I took the TST off and tried the edge, on the dyno in the mech lab it cost me 38 ft lbs of torque on level 5 compared to level 0 (stock), I sent it back they "fixed it" but it just doesn't have anywhere near the throttle response the TST had. It is a lot friendlier on the EGT though. The TST if you stood on her at low RPM (1100) the EGT would climb through the roof, we're talking they would be to 1200 before the turbo spooled (around 1200 to 1250 RPM with full by 1350 at the latest but in 6th gear it takes her a second to climb 100 RPM and it was good for blowing smoke clouds) and they would just keep climbing even after it spooled but the turbo would spool a lot sooner than the edge. The edge I've noticed the EGT just sit at like 800 until the turbo spools and then they'll start to climb, this would be why the TST has better throttle response. A turbo is just a thermodynamic system and the more heat available the more energy the turbo has to work with. The Edge does have a lot of nice features, I love the turbo timer, and it will add power, just the throttle response wasn't there like I expected after the TST. I haven't really run the TST much since I got it fixed, I am planning on stacking the two shortly though. I justhave to get my truck back to 100% first though. (I've got the oil cooler out and am hoping that is the culprit of the oil in the water I'll find out monday when the cummins dealer pressure tests it for me.)

Old 11-11-2007, 10:43 AM
02cummins
Captain

thanbks man, very imformative...im not sure what im doin yet, i guess just savin money to blow on it, haha...i wish more people on here were this informative

Old 11-11-2007, 11:13 AM
vsraptor
Professional

how do you think I feel with my 4.10's and NV5600. . .2300rpm just to do 70
[/quote]

I feel your pain........

Old 11-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

ok guys. you all mentioned 7th gear.

would a gear splitter work on these trucks.?

those units that mount at the back of the trans whewre the drive shaft connects. giving you a low/ high gear range.

ok Im not finding what I want as an example..I know they are out there.

Quick Reply: alright, well here we go