Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Pump relocation.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 04:46 PM
roadking096
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pump relocation.

My lift pump was only putting out 3 psi at idle so I parked the truck and ordered a new pump (stock) and relocation kit from Geno's. I'm home now and the first line of the instructions warns to have the tank at less than 1/4. Mine's full and I was hoping someone can let me know if they have done similar job and if I have to drain the tank or if I'll be O.K. Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: Pump relocation.

hmmmm ..... I can't imagine why you would need the tank less that 1/4 full. Are you removing a pump from inside of the tank or on the motor?

Old 11-09-2007, 05:30 PM
roadking096
Professional

On the motor. And then I will be cutting into the fuel line along the frame rail to install the pump there. I think that's where the trouble will start.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:36 PM
Ben D.
Champion

prbably because at a 1/4 tank or less the fuel level in the tank is lower than that fuel line thus the fuel won't just start running out when you cut the line. any higher and it will drain out until they are equal, that woudl be my guess

Old 11-09-2007, 05:43 PM
roadking096
Professional

That's probably what will happen. I was hoping someone knows how to prevent it. I guess I'll be draining it into home depot buckets. Thanks for the input.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:02 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Don't you totally disconnect the line from on top of the fuel tank when doing the big line kit? That's what I had to do when installing my FASS.

Draining it is gonna be a PITA. More than likely you won't be able to syphon it. I think there's some sort ofball in there or something to prevent that. Not sure on that one though.

Good luck, and as always TAKE PICS !! [sm=Flahssssss.gif]

Old 11-09-2007, 08:22 PM
roadking096
Professional

I'll check and see if I can remove the line at the top. I won't have to siphon if it starts pouring out the tubing. Just stick buckets under. Hope I don't, though.

Old 11-11-2007, 11:40 AM
02cummins
Captain

just go to the auto parts store they probly have a plier set that pinches off hoses, i have some and theyre from snapon so they ALOT of money haha but you can always buy a cheapo for the jojb at home. pretty much a vise grip with a rounded edge on it so u dont cut the line, or if u really wanna be cheap wrap ur jaws on a vise grip with electrical tape, should hold very well and not puncture ur line. and another pointer DONT TRY AND USE A TORCH OR CUT OFF SAW TO CUT YOUR LINE!...hahaha im sure somsone out there has and will try it sometime

Old 11-11-2007, 01:55 PM
roadking096
Professional

The hard line on the frame rail dissapears over the tank to no pinching. I wimped out andjust replaced the pump at the motor. I'll move it when the tank is lower. Got my 13 psi back. I figure I can blow air through the lines toward the tank and that should prevent any siphoning. I have a close quarters tubing cutter that I can use. Thanks for all the input.

Old 11-11-2007, 02:05 PM
woligator
Record Breaker

well when i changed my pump 3 weeks ago i didnt bothered whit fuel lvl,in fact i havent thinked about it at all
maybe i should have read instructions but mine was near full and no problem at all when i cut the line

Quick Reply: Pump relocation.