Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Help me buy the last 5.9 in the USA

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 04:01 PM
fletchafrica
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help me buy the last 5.9 in the USA

US World Direct are doing it - they New Zealand. They supposed to be really good. They better be... the kevlar would be useful out here...although the simple beauty of having something as ostentatious as a Dodge Ram in Africa.... and it will be the biggest shiniest pick up in the country...well it's difficult to explain. Imagine pulling up to a police road block, holding a cold beer. And the policeman not even worrying about the drinkin drivng, but rather reeling with awe at how shiny and big the vehicle is. Becoming your best friend and waving you on.

Rules don't apply out here. This has can be both a curse and a blessing. There are no speed limits. The maxim is - don't do a crime you can't afford.

And when the th inevitable civil war starts the dodge will be great for punching though a border post!

Price of fuel here? I pay USD$1.17 a litre.

getting cheeky isn't it folks?

kick some ***..get the gas.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:12 PM
fletchafrica

it looks like a hack saw but in fact is new technology, developed by maori scientists.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:04 AM
dragonslayer169
Rookie

Hey Fletch, Nice looking truck. Thats quite the project you are getting done. Can't wait to see what its like when it is done.

In this picture I see that you have a winch mounted there. How is it mounted? I have been trying to find a decent looking front brush guard that I can mount my winch in but haven't had any luck and I really like the look of your truck with it. Can you help me out and point me in the right direction as Romik doesn't say you can mount a winch to their bars?

Thanks,
Steve

Old 05-25-2008, 03:24 AM
fletchafrica

Hi Dragon

This particular brush guard from romik is made only for the ram 1500. However, I insisted that the customiser install it. Here's all I know about how that was done :

Please note that the Warn 12,000 LBS winch will not fit on the diesel truck, only the petrol trucks. This is because the diesel trucks have several extra radiators behind the front bumper & grille that the petrol version does not have. We have had to go to a Warn 9,500 LBS winch instead, but this should still be more than enough to get this truck out of serious situations. Still had to custom modify the mounts it make it fit nevertheless. We have also installed the horn, bedliner, roll-top cover, steel bed rails, Edge controller, etc. The extra tires are loaded in the back along with all the replacement service parts and service manual CD ROM.

He did complain about it quite a bit.

The best i can do - is when I take delivery of the truck - is get under it, and take some pictures for you of the mountings? I'd ask the guys working on it to do this...but with their apparent work load..I'd rather not bother them anymore than I have!

Old 05-25-2008, 01:41 PM
mytowrig
Captain

lookin' bad *** fletch! i've read all the posts in the past, as they come up, but i forget and don't feel like re-reading... are you gonna lift and put some monster shoes under there? if so, whatcha lookin' at?

Old 05-25-2008, 01:56 PM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did I read something about train horns being installed? I wanna hear them on a Cummins!!

Old 05-25-2008, 02:16 PM
dragonslayer169
Rookie

Hi Fletch,

If you could get some pictures once you have it that would be great. I also have a 9500lb warn winch that i want to mount. The only thing i could come up with since i couldn't find a brush guard i liked was to get a front hidden hitch. But then i could also run my winch on the back end if ever needed. I am still debating it though.

Old 05-25-2008, 06:18 PM
lilfroger
Record Breaker

Thank you Fletch for the update!!!

I find myself wondering how that little truck is coming along often

Old 05-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Bigriver

Hey Fletch, got to say that it's refreshing to see a devoted Cummins owner so far away in a remote area of the world that doesn't support the ownership of these trucks.

Like others had mentioned, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished conversion of your ride.
No doubt that the locals are going to look strangely at the truck and I surely hope that your prize CTD doesn't bring an ill fate to you.
Most Americans know of the horrible butality and corruption that these African governments are plaqued with. I understand that you know your way around your own country, but as an outsider, I would not feel comfortable travelling there.
Yes, I remember what was once Rhodesia, and how prosperous the country once was. I'm glad that you're holding fast to your homeland.

By the way........I own a reminder of your past country.........

Ranger

Old 05-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Az2500Cummins08

That is a really nice looking dog there Big River. My Grandpa had a Rhodesian Ridgeback before he died, she was a really awesome dog. Not the smartest, but she was loyal as hell until the end. Great family dog.