Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

oil change- lead bb's

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 04:34 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil change- lead bb's

so i went into my local valvoline 10 minute oil change today and went about it like i have been for a year. the place is close, they are FAST, and friendly plus i know someone there so i always get deals on my changes. well 15-40 conventional is what i always run and its not a common weight so they have to get it our of a drum and pour into my truck with a jug (im sure you all have the same oil change set up at a shop like this).

soooooo.... the guy gets onto his 3rd jug filling my truck and at the bottom of it there is a bunch of lead bb's. he then looked into the other jugs he already poured in and at the bottom of those two were the same. he comes up to me and gives me a "F%@k" look! he showed me in his hand what he found and like i said, they are just a lil smaller than a bb you should shoot out of a bb gun and they were lead. so im thinking big problems, and whats going to be done about it?

so after they ran 3 more complete oil changes thru my engine, changed the filter, and said a prayer they called the manager and told him about it and he said if anything goes wrong they will fix it even it is a "new engine", so the manager said dont use that oil again, use somthing out of a bottle on the shelf. well the only thing they had was a full synthetic so they gave it to me at the price my buddy originaly changed me for my regualr oil change $38.50.... which is STEAL even for regular 15-40!!!

so i got synthetic oil running in my truck now, but no problems with the lead so they had to of gotten it all out[:-] anyone think that if they dident get it all out that i could still have a problem even after driving 15 miles?

Old 11-10-2007, 06:10 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker
Default RE: oil change- lead bb's

just remember from now on you have to keep using synthetic...i dont know why but once you go to synthetic you cannot change back to conventional oil. someone on here might know why, but i forgot.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:09 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

well thats the first thing i asked the dude that was putting it into my truck..... he laughed and replied " its just a myth, you can go back and forth as much as you'de like!"

who to beleive[:-]?

Old 11-10-2007, 07:20 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

ORIGINAL: Johndcjr1989

just remember from now on you have to keep using synthetic...i dont know why but once you go to synthetic you cannot change back to conventional oil. someone on here might know why, but i forgot.
old wives tale... I went to amsoil, then back to delvac for a flush and have no problems. will be going back to amsoil in about 5k miles.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:04 PM
solarwarp
Veteran

Nick, I don't know, it sounds scary to me. When you pour the oil in, is there a direct path to the bottom of the oil pan for the ball bearings to fall through.Ordoes the oil have to like seep through to get to the oil pan?

Do you have anything in writing from these guys? Surely, they have E&O insurance, but does the manager know you have a $10,000 engine?

Where's Drew when you need him? DREW!

Old 11-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what ever that was in the bottom of the drumshouldnt be in there. would the lead hurt. . .probably not but the lead "shot" would if it got mixed in with a valve spring since it is not a direct path from the oil fill to the pan.

apparently youve got a guy at that quick change place that truly wants your buisness. . .the places around here would have just poured that lead shot into the engine and sent you to your doom.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:18 PM
jakebrake
Champion

It not a direct path to the pan. I would say your fairly safe since lead is so soft but if it were to plug up an oil galley or feed line youd have a mess of trouble.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:25 PM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

ya, going back from synthetic is a myth. you can go back just as easy as you got the synthetic in there

Old 11-11-2007, 09:27 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker

hmm well thats good to know i guess, it was a lady at an advance auto parts store that told me that so i just figured it would be true. when would yall recommend switching to synthetic by the way? i know some people do it at their first change, some say its best to wait a while before making the switch?

Old 11-11-2007, 09:38 PM
woligator
Record Breaker

ur truck wont remember,trick him by showing him a syntetic container and while u shut the engine off quickly change for regular oil and when ull awake him he will think hes got syntetic inside his belly :P

Quick Reply: oil change- lead bb's