Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

What can I expect from a diesel truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 05:05 PM
bbarras
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What can I expect from a diesel truck?

I have been considering purchasing a Dodge Truck. Probably a 2500 or 3500. I currently own a 2004 Dodge Durango w/ Hemi with 65k miles and it has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. I've never owned a heavy duty truck with a diesel and don't really know what to expect. The reason I'm considering a truck is primarily for towing. I currently have a 24' boat that weighs around 5,600 pounds. But, I plan to buy an RV and my next boat will be in the 30' range. Although I probably won't tow the larger boat much, I would like to be able to move it during hurricane season if needed. I'll also want 4x4 for deer lease duty.

The questions I have are:
-What are the differences in ride quality or any thing else I should consider between a 3/4 ton and a 1 ton (SRW)? Since the 1 ton is not much more, I'm inclined to get it for the extra payload, but I see far more 3/4 tons on the road...any reason? Ride quality is somewhat important to me, but really only when the wife is in the truck.
-I've noticed that a lot of people leave the diesels running while parked to run errands, etc. Is there a specfic reason for that? Only thing I've seen in forums is that it is easier on the starter.
-I generally have the dealer maintain the vehicles, soare maintenance intervals, parts availability ever an issue. I notice the current advertising hasa lifetime powertrain warranty...is there any catch?
-The model I've considered is the 2500 or 3500 4x4 auto trans Laramie Mega Cab. I've looked inside of the Mega Cab and like the added space in the interior. I like how the seats fold flat. I would like to put 2 dog kennels in the cab on occasion. Since I wouldn't use the bed of the truck much, iterior space or a lockable tool box in the be are would be important to me. Any feedback on the Mega Cab?
-Should I wait for 2009? I've seen in forums that there will be a redesign in 2009. Would the new truck be available in 2008? If so, when. I've seen some spy data for the 2009 1500 Ram, is there anything different for the 3/4 ton or 1 tons?
-I mentioned earlier that I would like to get an RV. But I have also considered a camper, so that I could also tow my 24' boat at the same time. Are there any issues with the mega cab and the shorter be and ausing acamper?

I know this is a bit long winded, but I would truely appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Old 11-11-2007, 05:24 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned
Default RE: What can I expect from a diesel truck?

you may expect:

MORE POWER

HIGHER TOWING CAPACITY VS A GASSER TRUCK

BETTER FUEL MILAGE

LONGER ENGINE LIFE

MORE FUN

Old 11-11-2007, 05:32 PM
bksram3500
Record Breaker

1. If you are going for ride quality go with the 3/4 instead of the 1 ton. Mine is extremely rough unless I have a load.

2. The new engines you aren't supposed to let them idle for long periods off time due to the filtered exhaust. I will let mine idle as long as I am in the truck to kill it if the filter gets full.

3. I have never had any trouble with the dealer service, as far as the lifetime warranty goes they won't cover the cummins because they don't make it.

4.The only bad I have heard about the mega cab is that the A/C has a hard time keeping up.

5. I doubt that you will be able to get the new style truck in a 2500 or 3500 until 2010 because they usually change the 1500 first. I would like to see those spy pics though.

6. What kind of camper are you talking about?

Welcome to the forum. I hope that I helped you out a little.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:48 PM
bbarras

Thanks for the feedback. The kind of camper I'm refering is the kind that sits in the bed. One of the manufacturers I've looked at is Lance. Just my wife and I, but we love to fish and like to take our boatand dogs with us when we go on vacation. That eliminates a lot of hotels and puts the boat at risk sitting in a parking lot.

The spy data I saw was on Allpar.com. Very camoflaged though.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:14 PM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran

A couple of other things to consider are the fact that the Mega cabs have less payload capacity, they don't offer the mega cab in the 3500 or long box, and there is a sticker in the trucks with the "short box" saying, "Do not use the bed of this truck to haul a slide in camper". (well, at least my 07 had a warning about that)

3/4 ton trucks ride better unloaded (loaded they both ride about the same). I test drove a 3500 SRW and noticed the wheels would "hop" even under normal acceleration (I hear it is because of the pinion angle being to great when unloaded). You could get the 3500 and just drop 500lbs. of something back there[align=left] [/align]

Old 11-11-2007, 06:18 PM
bksram3500
Record Breaker

That camper will make the 1 ton ride good.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:22 PM
bksram3500
Record Breaker

It kinda looks like it is going to resemble a third gen. dakota.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:30 PM
sspp
Professional

ORIGINAL: bbarras

Thanks for the feedback. The kind of camper I'm refering is the kind that sits in the bed. One of the manufacturers I've looked at is Lance. Just my wife and I, but we love to fish and like to take our boatand dogs with us when we go on vacation. That eliminates a lot of hotels and puts the boat at risk sitting in a parking lot.

The spy data I saw was on Allpar.com. Very camoflaged though.
A little off topic, but if you are considering a Lance camper, you will find they arewell made although kinda pricey. I maintained the energy management system for the Lance camper factory (as an independent contractor)and spent a lot of time among the various assembly stations in the factory. Materials and attention to detail looked to be very good quality or better. Their floorplans also look to be well thought out for optimal space utilization as well. Just thought I would throw that out there FYI.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Johndcjr1989
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: BrianSudokhoi02

A couple of other things to consider are the fact that the Mega cabs have less payload capacity, they don't offer the mega cab in the 3500 or long box, and there is a sticker in the trucks with the "short box" saying, "Do not use the bed of this truck to haul a slide in camper". (well, at least my 07 had a warning about that)

[align=left][/align]
actually they do offer the mega cab in a 3500, both SRW and DRW, but you are right about the unavailability of a long box (8 foot bed) however i posted a link the other day to a company that does long box mega cab conversions, im sure they are expensive, but they look great and if money is no option then you get the best of both worlds, largest interior cab space of any full size truck, and a full size 8 foot bed to haul everything in.

you mentioned something about a lockable tool box in the bed, but if you plan on getting a 5th wheel camper you might have to take the tool box out everytime you hook up the trailer on a short bed truck.

heres a link to the post with the website for the company that does the long box conversions on mega cabs.
https://dodgeforum.com/m_1037263/mpa...tm.htm#1037263

Old 11-11-2007, 10:16 PM
burban2002
Veteran

You can expect:
a louder engine
pissed-off neighbors
awesome sweetness

Quick Reply: What can I expect from a diesel truck?