Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Leaking Tranny and Burning Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 07:39 AM
Loydt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking Tranny and Burning Oil?

I have suddenly developed a leak from my tranny area right where the tranny bolts up to the flywheel area. There is a small gap right there where you can see the teeth of the flywheel, it appears to be coming from there. It will leave a nice puddle if parked overnight. It is a 6 speed manual but I am told they put auto tranny fluid in them to shift easier.

I am alsousing oil like crazy? I checked the oil when I noticed the tranny leak and it was barely up to the "safe" mark on the dipstick? I change it every 7500 or so?

I dropped it off at a dealer in Raleigh, NC to get both issues checked out. They said they could not "duplicate" the leak and I had them change the oil. So, I pulled my 5th wheel home from Raleigh yesterday and then checked the oil and it is already several quarts down?? Then, this morning there is another small puddle from the tranny again?

Is it normal to burn oil like this in these?

Only mod is a Superchips Tuner set in the "Tow Setting"

Old 11-12-2007, 07:58 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker
Default RE: Leaking Tranny and Burning Oil?

The tranny leak is your real main seal and/or the front seal on your tranny. Mine went out at 80k. I'd change both of them while you have it taken apart. The good news is that the part is only about $8 and $12. The bad news is that the tranny has to come out. Check your clutch while you have it out and replace it if it looks like it has got some good wear on it. It will save you some time and $$$ in the long run.

Since you are loosing a good amount of oil, I'd say it is the real seal that has gone out. Also, I'd get me a new mechanic and stop taking your truck to this dealer. #1 If they couldn't find a simple problem like this they are retarded. #2 a good diesel shop will do just as good of a job for a lot less.

The 6 speed transmissions do not have auto tranny fluid in them! They have synchromesh transmission fluid in them. If you put regular ATF + fluid in your tranny, it will ruin it. Amsoil makes a good replacemnet and so do a few other companies. The transfer case probably has ATF+4 in it (if you have a 4x4), but that is not the part that is leaking.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:08 AM
Loydt

Well, here is the kicker. It is an '07 model 5.9 with only 15k miles on it!!!!!! I only took it to that dealer because I was out of town and had to get it in somewhere!!!!

His comment about the oil was that I need to take it to my local dealer and get an "oil consumption test" done on it??

Old 11-12-2007, 08:23 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Definately take it to a different dealer. I did not know it was a new truck.

Quick Reply: Leaking Tranny and Burning Oil?