Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

strange sound on cold start??

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 12:13 AM
jedrph
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange sound on cold start??

Hello,
I've just noticed since it's been cold that I have a strange sound when I first start the engine. It seems to be coming from around the fan/radiator area. It sound likean intermittant buzz or a shh'ing sound. I can't figure out where it's coming from. It goes away when the engine warms up. Also there seems to be no pattern to it, I just randomly hear it. It doesn't seem to affect anything that I've noticed. Anyone else had this problem or know what the possible causes would be? Thanks

Old 11-05-2007, 12:15 AM
jakebrake
Champion
Default RE: strange sound on cold start??

Possibly your a/c clutch kicking on and off.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:32 PM
jtwhites85

I thought my truck was having issues last winter. When I'd start it below 50 I noticed that the volt meter would stay at about 11 and I heard what appeared to be a load on the altenator for about the first minute or so. Then the noise would stop and the voltmeter would rise to almost 14. Talked to the service mgr and he said it is the block heater and completely normal. Don't know if this is the same you are hearing.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:39 PM
FroneDaddy
Captain

Sounds like your both hearing the grid heater, they draw a lot of amps and will make the volt meter swing.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:17 PM
sallyman1
Captain

grid heater or intake air heater. Not block heater. block heater is the thing u plug into ac outlet. My truck kinda bzzzs or shhhshhs when cold. Doesnt idle the nicest either unless i work it a bit.

Old 11-06-2007, 12:31 AM
BigSkyDodge
Rookie

Well, kinda changing the situation here. But, I have recently acquired my cummins and had the dealership put in the cord for the engine block heater and since it is getting around 28 F here at night I thought I would check and see if everything is working. Plugged in the cord, heard a normal noise, then a pop and then no noise that I would normally hear when a vehicle is plugged in. Checked to make sure I didn't blow a breaker and I didn't. Still have power from the outlet... So, did something happen to the heating element or is this kinda normal or am I gonna look towards a trip back to the dealership, uugghhh?

Old 11-06-2007, 12:01 PM
FroneDaddy
Captain

Never heard a pop, leave it plugged in for a while and see if it works. If it is working you can feel warm air around the front of the grill. If not head back.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:59 PM
BigSkyDodge
Rookie

Thanks! I will check. Otherwise it will go in for that later with the rest of the stuff I need done with it.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:18 PM
jedrph
Rookie

Thanks for the replies. I thought it might have something to do with thegrid heater. No big deal. Honestly I was more concerned about my lights dimming when I first start up, but I hear that's normal as well. I'm still going to get my tube out and see if I can tell exactly where it's coming from just to be sure. Maybe a rubber grommit is missing or something.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:33 PM
kenlweb

I have the same problem on my 07 5.9 CTD. Very intermittent and seems to do it more when the weather is cooler. Happens with in the first 10 seconds of start up. Will never do it twice in the same day. Only happens after it has sat over night and is complety cold. I am going to capture the sound for my dealer to hear because it is intermittent. Don't know if it is an issue yet, but if it is, wantto get it taken care while under warranty. Also wanted to find some posts for amunition before going to the dealer, glad I found this one.

Quick Reply: strange sound on cold start??