Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Dually as DD?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 12:48 PM
bs5spinna
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dually as DD?

Part 1:
Hey gang, I'm weeding through the search results, but I was wondering pros and cons and what everyones opinions are on running a 3500 cummins dually as a daily driver?

Right now im running the club cab 5.7 hemi which does well but is a little bit of a pig when pulling the hauler. I only average about 20 miles a day, and the main purpose is the towing. We pull the toy hauler every other weekend if not more, and the hemi just isnt cutting it - aside from screaming i average about 6.5mpg even with a K&N and superchip.

The wife thinks if I go big once and for all sowe wont have to revisit this again any time soon. (I like to upgrade often 4th vehicle in a year)

So, in short, is it practical or will fuel costs and mileage kill me when putting around town? I'm really excited to have the towing power, but at what cost?

Part 2:
Can you convert these to run on cooking oil? Thought I heard something to that effect.

Thanks in advance I appreciate any and all input!

dave

Old 11-13-2007, 01:10 PM
Watermelon
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dually as DD?

Im not sure about the cooking oil conversion, But if you are not pulling extreme heavy loads I would go with the 2500 Just because of the extra tire expense. I use my 04 3500 drw daily to pull a 27ft gooseneck and sometimesI wish I just had the 2500. If your yanking loads down the road with a bumper hitch the DRW will serve you better just with stability. Good Luck

Old 11-13-2007, 01:19 PM
bs5spinna

Yeah we have a bumper pull hauler thats about 7k but if I have the rig to pull it, I would upgrade to a gooseneck in the next year or so for a little more room

Old 11-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Super Dave
Veteran

Mine is my daily driver. Your's is the exact reason I bought my truck.
The fuel mileage will be at least as good as the Hemi when unloaded and much better than the Hemi towing a heavy toyhauler, not to mention the ease with which the CTD will pull it.

You'll just find yourself having to park out in the South 40 at Wally World

Old 11-13-2007, 01:31 PM
jakebrake
Champion

I use mine as a daily driver. Only get to tow with it about once a month. I average 17 mpg half freeway, half in town. As far as tire expense, you spend an extra 400 or so every 50-60k ( not a big concern of mine).

Old 11-13-2007, 01:33 PM
bs5spinna

Thanks, this is the input I was hoping to get. I guess once in the while, the wifey can be right about trucks!!

Open to more info as anyone sees fit to share.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:34 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

Its turkey season young man!!!

Old 11-13-2007, 01:37 PM
jakebrake
Champion

Its duck season

Old 11-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Bigriver

I also have a dually, which is driven 85 percent of the time without a trailer behind me. I rack up over 35,000 miles a year which includes about 4 occasions per year that we tow a 37' 5'ver. Total weight at a Cat Scales last summer came in at 26,600 lbs. so with that you can see why I chose the dually. Stability and maximum reliability ranked high on the priorities when travelling with my family. I pay the cost physically and monetarily when rolling down the road going to work, but in my big picture, it was justified.
( Besides, I also have a few extra spare tires if needed ! )

Old 11-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

Depends on just how heavy that toyhauler is I gotta 06 2500 CTD Q/C shortbox and its my daily its not a dully but if you don't pull a huge trailer often I don't see the point in buying 2 x-tra tires...IMO the 2500 is great Ipull a 6 slant horse trailer with sleeper 37' no trouble and a 39' fifth wheel with 21' boat behind it on occasion when the 350powerjoke ain't aroundwith no trouble would however recommend a 3500 dual if you pulled like that often....My 5.9 gets better mpg than my buds short box reg cab hemi btw

Quick Reply: Dually as DD?