Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Off-Road Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 03:41 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Off-Road Diesel

Between my dad and I, we have been driving non-commercial diesel vehicles in TN and most states around TN for over 30 years. Not one time has either of us ever had our fuel checked.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Mayfair
Legend

How exactly do they check it? Isn't there some sort of anti syphon ball in the neck that would prevent them from getting a stick down there?

Old 11-15-2007, 05:41 PM
behindbars

They put a wick in your tank. They can even decipher the difference in colors say like MMO or ATF red. The high concentration of dye willcause subsequant tanks of clear fuelto be pink for hundreds of gallons.In the great Commonwealth of PA revenue agents are authorized to go on any property that stores or contains taxable fuels and check for misuse even without a warrant. All someone has to do is rat you out and here comes therevenue agent. I figured out the fine in PA one time and for a truck like ours about 35 gallons the fine was around $1k. At savings of roughly $.75/ gal. You do the math and see if it's worth it for yourself.

Edit: found it
The state and federal penalty for improperly using untaxed (dyed) fuel is a minimum fine of $10 a gallon or $1,000, whichever is greater. Since 1997, Pennsylvania has conducted more than 135,000 diesel fuel inspections, identified 669 violations and collected almost $1 million in fines.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:02 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

i myself have always thought about it because we use alot of it with our equipment at work and it would be easy access but i have never done it. i even thought about getting a transfer tank in my bed with a pump because you can only fill equipment or a transfer tank with it but the prices i was getting for a tank/pump combo are around $700 for bottom line stuff and it would take way to long to see any savings and even if i did get the tank/pump paid off in fuel savings and get cought the next month i am in the hole more than i would be paying regular prices for all that time.

(as you can see ive thought long and hard about doing this)

Old 11-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

I've been stopped in Oklahoma for it three times got caught twice luckly I had farm tags and the first time had twoblocks of hayin the bed so I started carrying around a few hay or alfalfa blocks in the bed so I could say I was headed out to the ranch...this was a while back they used to allow you to use the farm trucks between your properties and house and within 100 miles as long as you could prove it was directly connected to your work at the farm....HOWEVER check new laws before goin off of this...lol its been a while and it may have very well been that since we were in the boondocks they just didn't care, for the most part if you had a farm tag they let us off...

Old 11-27-2007, 06:52 PM
miknwv
Veteran

interesting....okay i dont think i'll risk it then. my buddy is a DOT officer here and i asked him what would happen to "my friend" if he got caught, how regularly they set up checks, etc....lol.

either that or i could just get a very loud stereo system in the back of my truck adn blast out sounds recorded from a V8 gasser as i drive past a checkpoint lol

Old 11-27-2007, 08:10 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

I heard a guy talking at a local bar about his diesel Ford Expedition. He brought it to a local shop for a repair, and someone at the shop called the federales on him for having red-dyed fuel in the tank.The guyhad to pay a large fine. I don't know why a shop would rat out a customer like that. Maybe they get a big incentive from the gov't? Who knows, maybe the story was bs. I didn't know the guy.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:32 PM
twotrack68
Rookie

I've heard of DOT setting up check points around the agricultural areas of Phoenix. If it's a diesel, they'll have them pull over and check the tank. Seems like they should have to have a warrant or probable cause to check but apparently they can check whoever they want at any time.
Scott

Old 11-27-2007, 09:47 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

ORIGINAL: twotrack68

I've heard of DOT setting up check points around the agricultural areas of Phoenix. If it's a diesel, they'll have them pull over and check the tank. Seems like they should have to have a warrant or probable cause to check but apparently they can check whoever they want at any time.
Scott
Really.. I live in Avondale and there is still a decent ampunt of Farming around here I have not seen one check yet. I am considering talking to the farmers and asking where they get there fuel.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:55 PM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ummm if you look at the fuel off road dieselit has a reddye in it off road dieselis also home heating fuel , ref fuel , like kero you can run that too like diesel just different dye in it.... same **** you can run in your home heating.. but you shouldnt run off road diesel in cold temps..(GEL) with older trucks not computer controlled (mech.) mix a little gas to give it a punch but you got to be dead ball on.. As far as laws in PA Goes when i buy off road diesel you gotta give them your name address and a # , so yes if they want they will visit.. Have 1500 gallons on the farm... plus like my ford diesel has a farm plate on it and the tractor trailer has a farm plate so there you can get around the laws .just do what every one else is doing ...Go to a truck stop and start draing tanks ....LOL...

Quick Reply: Off-Road Diesel