Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

UUUUUUUUUUGH !!!!! - Trans shifting weird !!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 12:43 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UUUUUUUUUUGH !!!!! - Trans shifting weird !!

I thought it was just a fluke, maybe something a little hinkey, but then it did it again this morning and now I'm worried.

My trans isn't shifting right !!!!!

Yesterday it felt like it was stuck between neutral and first gear while trying to pull away from a light. Today it did the same thing and when I hopped onto the highway I was doing like 60 and my RPM's were at about 2200. It wouldn't shift !! I fiddled around with the Edge and set it at 3 / 2, turned it off and on, turned the overdrive on / off, ect. When I got off of the highway I stopped, turned the truck off, waited a minute and turned it on. I don't know why, maybe to reset something? It felt fine, however I only went about 2 miles afterwards.

Any ideas?

I seem to remember someone mentioning similar problems and they were associated with the Egde. Do you think that's the case? What should I check for?

Old 11-19-2007, 12:48 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Default RE: UUUUUUUUUUGH !!!!!

I know it's been getting cold up there, do you think that might have a part in the problem ? Drew had a problem with his TST and the truck not running right and he found it was only a corroded ground connection. Don't think it had anything to do with the tranny though.

Maybe your TQ is on the frits and hanging up ? I don't know much about how the edge deals with the tranny but, I'd try disconnecting complete.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do if it still does it.

I had my Edge turned up to 4 / 3 still trying to find my best mileage number. I've been increasing the setting at every fill up and recording the mileage so that I can find my best number, set the Edge, and forget it. I wasn't going to go past #3 at all, but MM73 convinced me that going up to #4 was fine and that he's been running there for over a year now and getting the best mileage there so I gave it a shot. Well, now that this has started happening I went back to 3 / 2 which is where I was getting my best mileage. Hopefully things will settle down to normal now.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:25 PM
dtb86001
Professional

I remember something about 6 or 7 months ago about a transmision shifting wierd and it turned out to be a bad electrical ground. i guess the computer that controls shifting is sensitive to fluctuations in voltage. I also remember someone saying that if any of the systems on your truck start to act wierd you should check all the grounds and the battery posts.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:30 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

looks like its time for a new truck just give me your old one!

Old 11-19-2007, 03:47 PM
Mayfair
Legend

LOL, that dually is still available in Ambler.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:49 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: dtb86001

I remember something about 6 or 7 months ago about a transmision shifting wierd and it turned out to be a bad electrical ground. i guess the computer that controls shifting is sensitive to fluctuations in voltage. I also remember someone saying that if any of the systems on your truck start to act wierd you should check all the grounds and the battery posts.
LOL, that was ME talking about bad grounds effecting the tranny. I just installed new batteries so I don't think that's the problem. For some reason I think it's Edge related ( I hope ). MAYBE a bad ground going to the block, i haven't checked that in a while, but honestly I think that's a longshot.

Quick Reply: UUUUUUUUUUGH !!!!! - Trans shifting weird !!