Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

toyo open country at

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007 | 12:36 PM
Joedodge63
Rookie
Default RE: toyo open country at

Carter, Back to the Toyos... I have a set on my 96 CTD 4x4and I love them! I have not put enough mileage on them to know how long they last, but I did reseach before I bought them and general opinion is that they last a decent amount of miles and your fuel mileage will not suffer running them. My fuel mileage never changed and the way my truck drove improved alot! I had a set of Big-O's and they sucked!! Truck wandered worse then 2nd gens do and they didn't bite that well. I paid $650 for all 4 Toyos,and I got 10 ply load range"E",mounted and babalnced at Tire Barn. Hope this helped!

Old 11-25-2007 | 12:45 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: energinerbuzzy

Hey Aero Ram, I just thought of something. I won't be able to get an accurate calculation of my mpg's because my speedo is off by 5 1/2 mph right now.
Unless someone has a formula to figure it out, I'm screwed till I can get the speedo recalibrated.
you can run side by side with a truck that has a known good speedo reading and get the difference, or a long trip behind someone is better. gives a better number to work with. your speedo error will be a percentage of the true speed... to give some sort of reference... I went from a 265 to a 295 tire and was 9.3% off over 120 miles...

Old 11-25-2007 | 01:31 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

ORIGINAL: energinerbuzzy

Hey Aero Ram, I just thought of something. I won't be able to get an accurate calculation of my mpg's because my speedo is off by 5 1/2 mph right now.
Unless someone has a formula to figure it out, I'm screwed till I can get the speedo recalibrated.
you can run side by side with a truck that has a known good speedo reading and get the difference, or a long trip behind someone is better. gives a better number to work with. your speedo error will be a percentage of the true speed... to give some sort of reference... I went from a 265 to a 295 tire and was 9.3% off over 120 miles...
Yes but there seems to be some sort of sliding scale when it comes to figuring that out. I have checked it with the GPS and it's off by 5 to 6 mph at around 70 to 80 So for example, if I were doing 100 mph and the speedo is off by 6 mph that would be a 6% difference. But if I'm doing 5 mph and the speedo is off by5 mph, that would be a 100% difference. So I am thinking there must be some kind of formula to figure it out.
I'll ride around with the GPS for a few days and see if the speedo is off by the same amount at different speeds. If it stays the same, then the % thing won't work as it would always be changing.

Old 11-25-2007 | 05:21 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

My calc came out to 67.2mph at the speedos 60mph....(thats witha 34.8" tire)....
67.6mph at speedos 60mph with a true 35"...
I'd go withthe GPS though

As for figuring actual milage I got no formulas for that....

Old 11-25-2007 | 06:14 PM
Joedodge63
Rookie

Well, here goes... I used this method on my jacked up tracker with 31's on it. When I want to check my mileage.... I take the amount of miles my trip meter reads and divide by 60, example, i drive 450 miles, Divide that by 60=7.5, Then take that figure and multiply it by how many mph you are really going over speedo reading 7.5 x 8.2 mph=61.5, Now add that number to the trip meter reading 450 + 61.5 =511.5, now say you just fueled up and put 22 gals in....511.5 divided by 22= 23.25 mpg! This worked out to be pretty darn accurate. Hope this helped! Ya don't have to be crazy to drive one... but it helps!

Old 11-25-2007 | 06:33 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

[sm=WTFsgign.gif]Thats quite possibly the most confusing thing I've ever read... Glad my speedo is accurate....

Old 11-25-2007 | 07:21 PM
Joedodge63
Rookie

Glad I could keep you in the dark! hahahaha I know it sounds confusing, but.... it works. Maybe I can get my kid to make a formula out of it. I cheated with my truck... I put white face guages in and drove up the road with the lens out, followed my wife in brand new car and stuck speedo needle on at exacty 55 miles per hour! that way i am really close between 45-65mph! Damn! I think I just confused my kid too![sm=dontgetit.gif] Well, ya can't blame a guy for tryin'

Old 11-25-2007 | 08:07 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

[sm=smokin.gif]Joe my god man do you tell that to the cops to..."Well sir no I don't know exactly how fast I was goin but I'm sure I was with 20mph or so of the speed limit...."

Old 11-25-2007 | 09:04 PM
Joedodge63
Rookie

Dude, your gonna make me say it huh? I haven't gotten stopped in a long long time, so tomorrow when I do, cause you made me say it... where should I send the ticket? Hahahahaha! I set the needle dead on 55mph when I was going 55, now when it says 45, I'm going 45ish, same as 65-ish hahahha Am I keeping you confused again? The good news is... my Big block Metro speedo is on the money![sm=nxsmile.gif]

Old 11-25-2007 | 09:16 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

Well Joe its good to have your speedo on-ish...lol

Make sure to keep that Geo Big Block Metro speedo dead on....my buddy had one back in highschool real beast that 1.3L is, it'll get away from ya if your not careful!

Quick Reply: toyo open country at