Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Emissions testing in CA

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 06:58 AM
SF Ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions testing in CA

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Well the wife is out shopping-she got to the stores at 5am and I had to get up go play musical trucks in the driveway so she could go shopping. We are relocating to California in a few months and was wondering what kind of emissions testing is done there on diesels. Both my truck and the wifes 2500 CTD no longer have their cats. Does anyone know what kind of rules apply to vehicles moving there from out of state?

Old 11-23-2007, 11:56 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 227 Likes on 212 Posts
Default RE: Emissions testing in CA

they may want to do an inspection on any gassers you have, so be prepared for that. as for diesels, I dont know if they do any incoming inspections on them... currently there is no smog testing on the diesels, gassers, every 2 years and on ownership transfers...

Old 11-23-2007, 12:01 PM
firemansdodge
Professional

No emisssion test for diesel's at this time. However it will change in the future. Be prepared to spend some money to register from out of state. You will have to get your truck weigh'ed and then inspected at the DMV. Then fork over your life savings.[sm=scared09.gif]

Old 11-23-2007, 06:51 PM
icummins
Rookie

I'm going through this right now...I've got a CA DMV hook up. For Diesels, there is a smog test, and your vehicle cannot produce excessive pullutence compared to like vehicles. Now if your vehicle is in access like my 2500, over 8000lbs...add $310 to the registration fees. My total registration fees including the weight will be over $600 bucks. This is a yearly fee. There is a sliding scale for registration fees. The higher the value the more the registrations, and with depreciation the fee lowers. If you bought the truck prior to the 90 days you will pay tax above and beyond the tax you paid in the state you came from. When you go into the DMV make sure you put 91 days before the current date. If you come from Oregon like I do, there is no tax and you can be on the hook for 8.25 percent on a 45,000 dollar truck. There will do a visual inspection to make sure that it is the vehicle you are registering. My source said at the DMV that if you put a camper shell on the bed, you can avoid the weight charge. Now, you have 10 or 20 days to register all vehicle (not exactly sure). Even if you came into the state 180 days before, make sure you put 10 or 20 days. You will be on the hook for penalties if you miss these dates.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:24 PM
icummins
Rookie

Correction...NO SMOG CHECK

Old 11-23-2007, 07:56 PM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

ORIGINAL: icummins

I'm going through this right now...I've got a CA DMV hook up. For Diesels, there is a smog test, and your vehicle cannot produce excessive pullutence compared to like vehicles. Now if your vehicle is in access like my 2500, over 8000lbs...add $310 to the registration fees. My total registration fees including the weight will be over $600 bucks. This is a yearly fee. There is a sliding scale for registration fees. The higher the value the more the registrations, and with depreciation the fee lowers. If you bought the truck prior to the 90 days you will pay tax above and beyond the tax you paid in the state you came from. When you go into the DMV make sure you put 91 days before the current date. If you come from Oregon like I do, there is no tax and you can be on the hook for 8.25 percent on a 45,000 dollar truck. There will do a visual inspection to make sure that it is the vehicle you are registering. My source said at the DMV that if you put a camper shell on the bed, you can avoid the weight charge. Now, you have 10 or 20 days to register all vehicle (not exactly sure). Even if you came into the state 180 days before, make sure you put 10 or 20 days. You will be on the hook for penalties if you miss these dates.
Arrrrggg I would be second guessing moving to Kalifornia. [&:]

Old 11-23-2007, 08:08 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It is anyone's guess as to what C.A.R.B. will do in the future.

For those that don't know, since the People's Democratic Republic of California had a state Clean Air Act before the US Federal Clean Air Act of 1972, the CA congressmen and Senators inserted a special clause in the 1972 Federal Law saying that CA had the right to enact any stronger pollution law they saw fit, regardless of what the Federal Government did.

My youngest brother told me recently that he had to get a special pollution permit to operate "non-CERT" Catepillar 3406 diesels in California as part of a project to cut large holes in the concrete containment domes of a nuclear power plant getting large & bulky new equipment installed. The district of columbia has a similar special pollution permit to operate old diesels too.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:38 AM
icummins
Rookie

California has worked with surrounding states to stiffen their emission standards...ie) Oregon.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:25 PM
pngmotoman
Rookie

yah this is one reason that i like alaska becausse nothing for diesels and they are trying to get rid of the IM for gassers also

Quick Reply: Emissions testing in CA