Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

my cummins died Fuel problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 12:57 AM
jakebrake
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: my cummins died Fuel problems

I have never seen the lift pump push fuel out of the injector lineson any of the trucks I have worked on. To bleed the vp44 you have to crank the engine. If you only cracked one injector line it may have not been enough to bleed the pump (I've had several where I have had to crack all the lines to get it to bleed). Crack all the injector lines loose and crank on the engine in 20 second intervals letting the starter cool down in between. By the second or third time you should have fuel coming out of the injector lines. Tighten them up and thats that.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:04 AM
Shane123

Thanks Jakebreak.......I tried to bleed with two cracked #3 and #4 . I will give it a try tomorrow. I would hate to buy a pump if it is not needed. It seems weird that the Injection pump would just die so abruptly. I never had a loss of power , skipping or any other problems untill it just died.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:35 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Are there any codes in ECM? YOu can have codes and the CEL light never comes on. Check for codes by using the 3 click method. Turn the ignition on and off 3 times real fast (but don't start the truck). On the 3rd time, leave the switch in the on position and your digital speedo should start showing codes (if any). If there are any codes, post them here and we will help.

I tend to agree with Mayfair, it sounds like the leaky canister starved the VP44 and it died. I have let my truck run out of fuel several times.It did not take more than about 4 or 5 trys( cranking the engine in 20 second intervals) to get it started.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Shane123

tried to use the switch on off method to read codes with no luck so I plugged in my reader. I have 4 codes and they may be a result of the batteries that died while tring to get fuel to the injectors..

p0336
p0253
p1689
p1688

Old 11-29-2007, 12:00 PM
Shane123

cleared the codes and the p1688 came back

Old 11-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Mayfair
Legend

P0253 (M) Fuel Injection Pump Fuel Valve
Open Circuit
Problem sensed with fuel circuit internal to fuel injection
pump.
P0336 (M) Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor
Signal
Problem with voltage signal from CKP.
P1688 (M) Internal Fuel Injection Pump
Controller Failure
Internal problem within the fuel injection pump. Low
power, engine derated, or engine stops.
P1689 (M) No Communication Between ECM
and Injection Pump Module
Data link circuit failure between ECM and fuel injection
pump. Low power, engine derated, or engine stops.
If you wanna look at other codes check em out here :

Old 11-29-2007, 02:01 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Looks like you have the codes of death for your VP44.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:33 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I didn't wanna be the guy to tell him ....

Nice job Bob ...

Old 11-29-2007, 03:29 PM
Rev800

I just picked up a new fuel filter canister for my 2001 yesterday for $140 from a dealer. I must have had water in the water separator and it froze overnight, the water light never came on. I find it hard to believe there’s that much swing from 1999 to 2001. My dealer also said this is a new design for the canister. The canister I purchased possibly doesn’t have a heater that’s the only thing I can think of, how did you know you had a bad heater unit? Is it incorporated into the fuel filter canister? The one I took off the truck and the new one sure doesn’t look as if there’s a heating element in there and if there is it’s so small I find it hard to believe it would be able to heat the fuel fast enough?

For $600 you would be better off installing a FASS system and running some coolant lines to the FASS and heating the fuel this way and eliminate the factory fuel canister.

I have the FASS system and I connected to the factory fuel filter canister but if it’s not heating and it never indicated water than what good is it if you have the FASS system?

Old 11-29-2007, 05:49 PM
Shane123

The canister for your 2001 is much cheaper and you can even those off ebay discounted. I purchased a kit to change mine over. The code of death dang vp44. I purchased one today for $1100 with a 1 year warrenty unlimited miles. The new part was easy to install thanks to Diesel-Dan. It took me about 2 hours to take off and about 45 minutes to install. I am no mechanic I am a machinest by trade but work mostly on injection molding machines making electrical connectors. The job was completed but was still a pain in the rear to prime. I had about given up and turn the key and it fired. The next time I turned they key I had a large poof of smoke and the engine fire up running a little ragged for about a minute. Thanks for all the help and I would rather get put down hard buy you guys, than to be rammed in the butt by the stealership.

Quick Reply: my cummins died Fuel problems