Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

my cummins died Fuel problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 03:53 PM
Shane123
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my cummins died Fuel problems

I have a 99 dodge with a 5.9 . I was on my way home and the engine died as if it were out of fuel. I towed the truck home. The fuel filter canister was leaking due to a bad heater unit. What a joke dodge hated the design so much they do not make parts to repair and the whole canister has to be replaced. The dodge stealership laughed when they looked up the price which was $1100. I done some seaching and found one at cummins Alantic for half of that which was still wayyy to high. I figured the truck died due to losing fuel pressure. The canister was replaced. The truck still refused to crank. I must have bleeded a gallon of fuel out at the side injector pump banjo fitting. The canister has a new filter and should since it cost almost $600. I crack an injector at the top of the engine but lift pump will not push fuel or air out of the line. Yes I do have a lift pump I replaced it after the canister and it is ne and push fuel out like crazy ant the banjo fitting. I do not have th time or money right now to do the pump modifications that most have done. Should the lift pump have the pressure to push the fuel thru the Injector pump and lines to prime the system? Why is the no fuel comming out and should it? I know what you are thinking an yes I suspect the fatal Injection pump but I want to make sure before I remove and spend money that I do not have right now. When I try to crak the truck a small amount of fuel will come out of the lines at the injectors but not like I think it should. Advice and comments are welcomed.... thanks to all...ps... if anyone know "Diesel Dan" tell him thanks for the video it provides great information of changing out the injector pump which I will probablyuse and would have been a little better if the camera man would have set his beer down while he shot the video....LOL...

Old 11-28-2007, 04:32 PM
Shane123
Default RE: my cummins died Fuel problems

Does this all mean the Injector pump is bad. I am somewhat looking forward in doing the work but I really really do not want spend the money. Does anyony have any comments on having a pump rebuilt? I can get a rebuilt pump for $1095. Cummins quoted me one for over $1700. Where should I look for one. Thanks

Old 11-28-2007, 04:48 PM
brunner

I'm not going to be much help but....I do know where there is a wrecked 2002 with a new lift pump and fuel pump. The two probably have less than 10000 miles on them. I wrecked the pickup about a month ago and the insurance company sold it to a salvage yard in Sioux Falls, SD. If your '99 uses the same system maybe you could save a few bucks.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:58 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I know Diesel Dan and I'll pass on your comments. That video that he did shoing the install of the 44 is awesome !!!

You've said that you've replaced your lift pump, but with what?

I can't believe that you spent 600 bucks on a fuel filter canister when some guy's are removing them totally and tossing them. Wish you would have shown up earlier.

If your fuel filter housing was leaking for a while and you didn't catch it, than I would suspect that you starved your 44 and YES, it'll need to be replaced. You've got the video, so you know what's involved. I don't know if we have a sponser here that sells 44's, but Farmboys diesel sells them. If you need their info lemme know.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:22 PM
Shane123

Thanks Mr. Mayfair for the second opinion. The video was great but that video is what gave me second thoughs on a new pump. When dan bumped the starter the pump pushed the fuel all the way to the injectors and mine will not. It is just a standar carter lift pump. I know they are fefered to as junk but it is the cheapest way out right now to get me up and going. I am building a house and it is almost complete and I am broke as a convict right now and this does not help a bit.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Shane123
I am broke as a convict right now and this does not help a bit.
When it rains, it pours

Perhaps someone with some more knowledge that i have will chime in, but I suspect that your leaky fuel filter caused the 44 to starve itself and as a reslut it died. I'd replace the whole she-bang including the Carter ( which I'd replace with a FASS )

Old 11-28-2007, 06:00 PM
UpBranchLiner

He called you Mr. Mayfair

[quote]ORIGINAL: Shane123

Thanks Mr. Mayfair

Old 11-28-2007, 06:55 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

I got a guy here in Houstonwho has a brand new in the box VP44 for sale. He is asking $450 for it but I suspect I can talk him down a little.
If you are interested I can get more info as I think there are a few different models? Not sure but the other guys here will know what I'm talking about.
If that is a good deal, I can run by there this weekend and take some pictures of it and give you the guys phone number.
But you need to truely be serious about it cuz it will take half my day to do it!!

Old 11-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Shane123

Really never got a clear understanding. I have a new lift pump should it have enough pressure to push fuel thur the lines filter injection pump and exit out the injector lie if it is not connected to the injector? thanks

99 dodge 250 5.9l

Old 11-29-2007, 12:48 AM
Mayfair
Legend

I would think that it would move some fuel, but wether it's ENOUGH fuel I don't know. Hopefully someone who knows a little more about this will chime in for ya.

Quick Reply: my cummins died Fuel problems