Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel
View Poll Results: A poll
Pay him and just count it as a lesson
4.76%
Tell him to kiss my.....
26.98%
Pay him but remind him what I saved him
23.81%
Tell him that he owes me for the 2 hours I spent fixing his mistake
31.75%
All of the above
12.70%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Everybody makes mistakes, but

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Everybody makes mistakes, but

Ok I want a few opinions here. I have a friend that has an independent shop. He had a customer bring a 2005 CTD 2500 that would not run at all. The owner of the truck had tried to install a bully dog programmer and something went horribly wrong. He actually erased all the "software" in the engine control module (ECM). My diag tool could not even talk to the ECM. To try and reinstall the software you need the original software version that is stored in the ECM. But the diag tool can't communicate with the ECM so I can't pull the version number that I need. Then I discovered that the version number is also on the engine id plate. So first problem solved. I download the software into the ECM and the truck fires right up, runs strong. I didn't think that this would work so I was glad that I had learned something new to help people out. If this had not of worked, the owner would have had to buy a new ECM which is nearly $1900.00. I could not have warrantied it because when I sent the old ECM into Dodge, they would have figured out what happened and not pay for the repair. They would have also voided his warranty. I spent 2 hours fixing this guys mistake and did't charge him anything. I did it as a favor for my friend who owns the independent shop knowing that he would repay the favor sometime in the future. The owner was at my shop the whole time watching what I was doing so he knows what it took to get his truck running again. Now comes the problem. When I was under the hood looking for the software version, I left a flashlight laying on the top of the motor.2 days later the owner calls me and said that the flashlight slid off the motor and tore off his serpentine belt. I said I was sorry for the mistake and offered to give him a new belt. He said that was not good enough because he had already replaced the belt and wants his $50.00 back that he spent on the belt. I told him that I would pay him for the belt when he brought the flashlight back. Then I got to thinking. I just saved this guy $1900.00 and saved his warranty. I didn't have to do either of these, but I did it to be a nice guy. What would you guys do. He says that I should pay for my mistake, but I didn' make him pay for his...
Sorry for the long rant.......

Old 11-30-2007, 09:56 PM
jakebrake
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Everybody makes mistakes, but

Truely tell him to kiss your *** and that is the last time you'll ever do him a favor. If he threatens again, tell him you'll submit what you found to dodge and void his warrenty the ungrateful son of a *****. I've had to deal with enough people like this because managment isnt around on saturday shift so I get the joy of dealing with customers. We do them a favor by working on their truck even though they didn't have an appointment (and we're already booked solid) then they complain about the bill.[8D]

Old 11-30-2007, 10:04 PM
QUACKSTACKER
Professional

tell him, "hey, since i am such i nice guy, i will give you 2 options: 1) subtract the $50 dollars that i owe you from the $1900 i should have charged you for fixing your truck b/c you were too stupid to follow simple directions on installing something as simple as a programmer, or 2) go F**K yourself. i just saved you 2 grand."

i dont know how hard it is to install a programmer. i have friends that have put them on their trucks. knowing the I.Q. of my friends, i think my labrador could do it.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:10 PM
MAB_CTD_4X4
Professional

All the above plus what Jake & Quack added.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:11 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

Oh hell Fing NO. I would tell the ungratefull bastard that if he opens his mouth to me one more time, I will forward paperwork to Dodge with unpaid charges from a repair due to the use of an aftermarket programmer.
In other words, When it comes to someones warrantee? You are not the man to be phucked with!!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds like a PUNK to have called you about that in the first place. I say if he calls and talks **** to you at all, just go ahead and turn it in to Dodge. You'll come out smelling like a Rose!!

Old 11-30-2007, 10:18 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if anything he should atleast go buy you a new flashlight seeing as you saved him a huge chunk of coin.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:19 PM
solarwarp
Veteran

You let him out the door for free.You said you would pay him back for the belt. If you try to charge him or not pay him, after you agreed not to charge him and to pay him back... you'd be going back on your word. What'syour wordworth to you?

I maybe wrong, but I think the Judge Judy verdict would be that since you didn't have a contract to get paid to fix anything and your negligience caused the belt to break, you'd have to pay the man for the belt and get nothing for the reprogramming.

But aside from that the guy is a scumball.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:20 PM
rebelz99
Professional

Don't say anything, give this ******* the belt with the bill for the 2 hours or so worked on his truck plus some stupid reprogramming fee's, with a nice work sheet of the work done addressed to chrysler and see how stupid the ungrateful b$%$#rt is.

And then with these *******'s, you make all the rest pay!!!

Old 11-30-2007, 10:26 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

ORIGINAL: solarwarp

You let him out the door for free.You said you would pay him back for the belt. If you try to charge him or not pay him, after you agreed not to charge him and to pay him back... you'd be going back on your word. What'syour wordworth to you?

I maybe wrong, but I think the Judge Judy verdict would be that since you didn't have a contract to get paid to fix anything and your negligience caused the belt to break, you'd have to pay the man for the belt and get nothing for the reprogramming.
While you may be correct on the law. I know that he also has the oblogation to inform Dodge onthis guysuse of a divice that will void his warantee. So if he realy want to be a dick, so be it. Show him just what a dick really is!!
I call it Teaxs Justice!!

Old 11-30-2007, 10:29 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: solarwarp

But aside from that the guy is a scumball.
My word is gold. And I don't mind paying for my mistake. But I still would like to get it off my chest that he is an a........

Quick Reply: Everybody makes mistakes, but