Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Hey y'all. No-one can seem to fix my diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 12:07 PM
big builder
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey y'all. No-one can seem to fix my diesel

Hey everyone,

I posted this problem earlier and we still can't find the problem.

I have a 1997 2500 diesel, 4 by, 5 speed.

It's hard to start and keep running. I have had it to the dealer who apparantly tested manifold heaters and replaced relays ( over $500.00) Brought it home and nothing was better. Took it in again and they diagnosed ( apparantly) a bad lift pump using clear fuel lines. They said it was pulling air in and said it now started "excellent". So I brought it home after paying $ 900.00 for that. Left it out over night @ -18celcius not plugged in. I got it started after a couple of trys and it ran fine for 20 minutes idling. Left it for a couple of hours and tried to start again but I couldn't get it going no matter what I did.

I just can't afford to have the dealer throw parts and labour at a problem they obviously can't figure out.

any ideas out there would really help.

Thanks everyone.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:57 PM
Morse
Default RE: Hey y'all. No-one can seem to fix my diesel

Go to TurboDieselRegister.com Someone will answer your question there.. If you don't want to join that site, join the free site DieselTruckResource.com It's free, and has a lot of members.. I hope this leads you to help..

Old 12-01-2007, 01:00 PM
big builder

Thanks,

At this point I will try every avenue I can.

Thanks again.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:53 PM
refloyd
Rookie

it sounds to me like you are getting air into the fuel system. I was haveing the same problem with my 98 and it ended up being the return fuel line from the injection pump. There is a little peice of rubber line on the return, there is one between the lift pump and the fuel heater, and another problem could the fuel heater. The heater element could be burnt out and letting air get in thru the electrical connection.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:38 PM
big builder

refloyd,

I really appreciate that post. I am going to work on the truck myself now and see if I can work it out. It is simply too expensive to have the dealer throw parts at it.

One question. Can I replace the rubber lines with any rubber fuel line or does it have to be a specific type?

Old 12-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Morse

Go to TurboDieselRegister.com Someone will answer your question there.. If you don't want to join that site, join the free site DieselTruckResource.com It's free, and has a lot of members.. I hope this leads you to help..

now how lame is that. . .. he comes here. . .a diesel forum and you direct him somewhere else instead of attempting to help him.

anyway, it does sound like you are having the same issue alot of others are having with this ULSD fuel. good possability it is drying out the seals in the fuel lines due to the lower sulfur content. refloyd knows these engines well.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:39 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Diesel Truck Resource has a lot of good people
and it is a good idea to ask questions there too.

Consider taking your pickup to an official Cummins 'Powerstore'
and having them diagnose the problem.
The techs there are generally better trainned (and paid) on the Cummins
than at the Dodge dealerships
where employee turnover is higher

Old 12-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Aero Ram
All Star

ORIGINAL: Drew

anyway, it does sound like you are having the same issue alot of others are having with this ULSD fuel. good possability it is drying out the seals in the fuel lines due to the lower sulfur content. refloyd knows these engines well.
Hum, Member when I made a similar post called hard Start? Could this be related to the ULSD, The Truck has only acted up once since I started that post, it fought me on the first key turn and then fired on the second...

This is a shot in the dark but could it be, the Rubber seals possibly get cold and shrinkafter the ULSD fuel drying them out, allowin air into the fuel lines makein starts hard?...Like I said shot in the dark?!

Old 12-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what I know all trucks produced after 1/98 had seals installed that were not effected by the lower sulfur fuel. it could be it was a few years earlier, but I do know VP44 and CP3 powered trucks will not be effected by the lower sulfur content.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

Like I said a shot in the dark, thanks for the clarification though Drew

Quick Reply: Hey y'all. No-one can seem to fix my diesel