Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

smarty jr. and mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 05:48 PM
ramdiesel23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smarty jr. and mods

After seeing all this positive feedback on the smarty jr. I really want one. My question is with the smarty jr. do I need any other upgrades to not damage anything. All I really have is a k and n drop in. I really don't want to change the exhaust or anything. Would like some gauges and am probably getting the afe air intake. Any help is much appreciated.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:27 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Default RE: smarty jr. and mods

I believe you're the type of person it was designed for. It's a mild programmer just to enhance mileage and towing with a little performance thrown in. It couldn't hurt for you to get a EGT gauge, programmer or not it's a good thing to keep an eye on for the longevity of several things.

If you haven't been there.... here's all the info about the.... Smarty Jr

If you really aren't going to do more to your truck, there's really no need for the AFE. the stock filter box is good for 500hp. Get a good brand factory drop in replacement and you'll be good. it would help to open up the exhaust some but, not necessary. It could help your mpg's in the long run though.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:09 PM
ramdiesel23

Thanks for the ideas. I wouldn't mind opening up the exaust but had duals on my last truck and got sick of the noise. This is my first diesel so I'm open to suggestions. Anything to help with air would be good but don't want to much more noise. What other gauges would you reccomend and whats the normal operating for each? Thanks again for the help and you guys have some kick a$$ trucks.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:14 PM
04QC4X4
Captain

As for the exhaust, I just cut off my catalytic converter because it was plugged. I was afraid that it would make my truck louder, but it sounds exactly the same as before, maybe a little louder outside, but no louder in the cab. I know it might help you out a little to get rid of the cat, but if your worried about noise this is the way to go. Hope this helps.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

I'm pry gettin the Jr. also, Just so you know I cut out my muffler and left the cat (04.5 and up have a cat) removing the muffler didn't make it much louder which was a big concernforon the highway its not bad though, It seems my turbo spools quicker, it helped my throttle response to, I'm happy with the exhaust how I did it, and I have a K&N intake which made the turbo whistle alot more noticable if noise is a concern with your truck...

Old 12-02-2007, 08:30 PM
ramdiesel23

So you remove either the muffler or the cat and replace with what? Straight pipe?

Old 12-02-2007, 08:33 PM
ramdiesel23

By the way, I don't mind the turbo being louder, just the noise from the exaust. I do a lot of highway driving.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

I do alot of Highway Driving, I hate a truck that drones bad on long trips!

First off what year is your truck? so i'll know you exhaust set-up...

All I did was cut off the muffler and weld straight pipe in its place, My truck is an 06 so it has a CAT from the factory I left it so it wouldn't be to loud, All it seemed to do sound wise was give it a much deeper tone, I love it, of course you mainly hear it when you get on it or with the windows down. Windows up on the highway, sounds alot like stock...

The muffler has a low inlet and a high outlet, so I had to make an "S" to fill in where the muffler was...I know my trucks got rust already stupid Florida [:@]
Name:  S5030634.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  78.1 KB

Old 12-02-2007, 09:47 PM
ramdiesel23

I have the same truck, same year. Looks like thats the route I should take. Thanks. I'm not sure if you know this but since you said you were interested in the smarty I thought I would ask, where do you get the updates from? I'm sure theres some manual when you buy one. Other than that, I can't wait to order the smarty jr. Hopefully the truck will get up and go. Since I put the new tires on it seems a little sluggish.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:00 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

Yeah if you got the 06 your truck has good 4" pipe all the way back, theres no need to buy a full exhaust system, I've checked it myself and its 4" turboback no crimps or bad bends in it....Leave that CAT in there and she won't get noisy on ya, you'll be happy with it PM me with any questions.

PM Triton and he can tell you alot on the smarty, or Email Bob and he will for sure take care of ya...

Quick Reply: smarty jr. and mods