Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

6.7 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 10:26 PM
boostedandbad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.7 exhaust

so does anybody know what the deal is with this whole "you can't gut the cats" thing for the 6.7 i bought one and i love it but everydody that i've talked to is like, uhh you can't put a programmer on it and you can't do anything but cat back exhaust which doesn't do a damn thing really, apparently theres nothing you can do to this new motor, i mean i like it, but i'm having a hard time believing that you can't put any after market parts on it at all, if this is true its like the first vehicle ever that has to stay stock. i'm just not buying it.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:29 PM
Ben D.
Champion
Default RE: 6.7 exhaust

well they are partly correct and partly incorrect. as of now they are right. you can't. there are no aftermarket parts out there ATM for teh 6.7L. You can't gut the exhaust because of the new smog stuff and dpf or diesel particulate filter. but word is that a DPF delete kit is coming out and don't worry edge, TST and all the others will be working hard to get programmers out for the new 6.7L

Old 12-04-2007, 10:32 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

All is good Programers are on the way...
And just drop the muffler it'll be ok

Old 12-04-2007, 10:39 PM
boostedandbad

haha yeah i took the muffler off yesterday me and my buddies were all excited, i went and fired it up, everybody just kinda frowned and i was pissed! there was no change at all. maybe a little bit of performance maybe not even noticable, i just know that turbos hate back pressure so removing the muffler had to do something. i figure somebody will figure out a way around all that emissions crap, i just don't want to be the first idiot to go at his exhaust with a saw zaw and screw up a 40000 dollar rig, i'm anxious thats all haha. hell i just bout it last saturday ya'll know how it is

Old 12-04-2007, 10:41 PM
lilfroger
Record Breaker

There are some after market parts for the 6.7.

It has just been hard for the manufactures to get the parts to market. There is a lot of R & D that has to go into this stuff an Dodge has the computer all over these trucks.

The DPF's are slowing down exhaust systems for the 6.7. You can very easily do a DPF back system (aka pull the muffler) but it doesn't do a heck of a lot for sound. There are a few companies from outside the US that are working on DPF delete kits. The EPA is all big and bad on how they are going to fine millions of dollars to anyone who tampers with the systems, so that seems to be slowing down US companies a bit. One of them will test the waters and find out if the bite is as bad as the bark I'm sure. Because of the way the sensors are tied into the computer's it is not as simple and cutting and welding. The CEL comes on, some people have the engine defuel, some it just wont run. Lots of people have tried it. Some shade tree mech is going to find the perfect combination; we just don't know when.

For the most part they are great trucks; every lot has it's bad apples and well Dodge is no exception.

Have fun playing with your truck man your gonna enjoy it!

Old 12-04-2007, 10:42 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

yeah droppin my muffler didn't do much noise wise just gave it a deeper tone, I was hopin for a lil more sound than i got though...lol

Haven't heard a 6.7 with anything done to the exhaust yet...

Old 12-04-2007, 10:48 PM
boostedandbad

yeah i was talkin to a mechanic before i bought it the other day, i was a little skeptical about this new motor, i reallt wanted the 5.9 just cause its been around forever and its a badass motor, but there gone now unless you want a used one, but after i drove it man i couldn't help myself, lol i think its funny how i just bought a 350hp 650 torque monster and i'm tryin to figure out how to sweeze more power out of it.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well. . .the muffler on the 6.7's is just a straight through. . the DPF and cat take alot of the noise out. . .but there is a cat DPF elimination kit out there that throws absolutely no codes.

past that the aftermarket is still catching up. just give them some time to crack the programming

Old 12-04-2007, 10:54 PM
boostedandbad

yeah its gonna be a beautiful day too. i can't wait to get 1000 ft. lbs. how cool is that going to be

Old 12-04-2007, 10:56 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to see that too. . .but I doubt my stock clutch could handle that kind of torque. . .I am surprized it was able to hold nearly 800ftlb

Quick Reply: 6.7 exhaust