Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Hey There

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007 | 11:01 PM
JR 06
|
Professional
Default RE: Hey There

Yeah i hear ya on that, those are exactly the parts I'm usually replacing and I am sick of it as well. And be glad you're not having to mess with the 6.4's, although they're probably not that bad to work on in a medium duty truck.

Old 12-10-2007 | 11:06 PM
jakebrake
Champion

everyone in the medium and heavy duty buisness seems hesistant to buy the new emissions engines. The only ones we see are from the county and state and those dont run the 6.4l. And I am glad I don't have to pull the cab to work on the enginesI only have to pull the dash trim, cup holder, shifter, passenger seat, and doghouse to get at the back of the engine.[8D]

Old 12-10-2007 | 11:08 PM
JR 06
|
Professional

yeah i have to do that on the vans, which is actually not bad if you're just doing a turbo or stc bracket. but anything else on a van is a PITA.

Old 12-10-2007 | 11:09 PM
6inarow
Professional

welcome!!!!!!!!!!! we have alot of the 6.0 dropping engines right and left here, whats the deal? small problem leading to big one because they are not getting them to the dealer soon enough?

Old 12-10-2007 | 11:16 PM
JR 06
|
Professional

yeah and most people don't realize how important changing their fuel filters is. and so they don't change em, injectors get starved for fuel and starting getting knocked out. or you have those that are just plain idiots and just run out of fuel, and then you have to explain to them why they need a new fuel pump and any number of injectors because of their stupid mistake.

Old 12-10-2007 | 11:22 PM
jakebrake
Champion

nope just a bad engine that was never thoroughly tested. For one thing the egr cooler is poorly designed. Egr gasses flow from the rear to the front meaning the rea is the hottest spot. Coolant flow through the cooler from front to rear meaning that the coolant picks up heat as it flow towards the rear of the cooler. The coolant can get so hot that it starts to boil and that is what causes the egrs coolers to go out. AS far as the rocker arms, they just stamped piecies of steel that were to soft and they brake. The stc fittings arent strong enough to hold the pressures that they see (also vibration). The powersteering geartrain on the back of the engine was made from unhardened steel and will grenade over time destroying the whole engine. The turbos vanes are controlled by oil pressure. When enough soot builds up in the turbos it will clog the vanes and the oil pressure won't be able to overcome the force. The injectors spool valve has a problem with stiction do to the oil in the high pressure side of the injector. It causes delayed timing which means hard starting rough running and missfiring. Since the crankcase breather dumps into the turbo inlet and it is an egr engine the intake developes a layer of oil on the surface to which soot sticks. Overtime (30K miles or so) this will close off the intake ports to about half their original diameter (also causes the egr vavle to stick open). One other thing is that ford rerated the engine to compete with chevy and dodge. This is why the float heads when they use a programmer on them. Ford turned up past the engines design limits, you'll notice international engines are rated a lot lower.

Those are just a few of the problems the 6.0's have

Old 12-11-2007 | 12:40 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Welcome aboard !!

What's the lates with the flame throwers?

Old 12-11-2007 | 01:00 AM
tonyslaramie
Professional

WELCOME ! ! !

Old 12-11-2007 | 09:03 PM
04QC4X4
Captain

Welcome. Good luck with the 6.4s. I've got a buddy that had his blow up with only 6k miles on it. Took Ford 6 weeks to replace it. Its been in the shop several times for other stuff since then, most recently a antifreeze leak. Must be those bad radiators your talking about.

But anyways welcome to the forum. These guys know everything about everything.

Old 12-11-2007 | 09:20 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

Welcome hope to see ya in a cummins on day soon