Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Ball Joints Already?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 09:00 AM
triton
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ball Joints Already?!!!

ORIGINAL: Batphreak

ORIGINAL: triton

some really nice custon fabbed parts for the front end. It's a night and day difference in handling and steering...Thuren Fabrication
Triton, all that is great for the steering components. Nick is talking about ball joints between the axle and steering knuckle, though.

Nick I just did a quick check at www.rockauto.com, they have your joints, greaseable uppers, looks like lowers you might be stuck. Good luck.

That's right and the thuren linkage will replace all of it. Ball joints suck and replacing them with heim joints is the way to go

Old 12-14-2007, 09:39 AM
lesimon
Professional

Hey guys, I had my ball joints replaced at 49,000 km and I made the dealer drill and tap the warranty OEM replacement ball joints both upper and lower. Unfortunately the lower ball joint does not have enough clearance between the the top of the ball joint and the front axle u-joint. What I do is remove a flush mount plug in the lower ball joint, install a grease nipple and then grease the ball joint. I then remove the grease nipple and reinstall the plug. I am hoping that greasing the OEM ball joints that I wont have to replace them every 49,000 km. I grease the ball joints every oil change. I can take pictures if anyone would like me to and post them here just drop me a line.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:03 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

Picks would be great! Fire away.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:47 PM
SpLaT
Captain

DC has seen fit to use a non greasable ball joint because us "shade tree mechanics" don't know what we're doing. The ball joint is non greasable because they engineered it with a "teflon" liner between the ball and the ball housing. Reason is we or the "quickie lube people" may fail to properly clean the grease zereks (if installed) thus contaminating the grease and causing the ball joint to fail!! But the the DC techs are DC trained ( I'll leave you to make any remarks you feel is right) But these same DC trained techs have to be "Educated" by the same "shade tree mechanics" on how, where and when on a number of issues, like the front drive shaft maintenance or how to recalibrate speed sensor for larger tire sizes!!

Old 12-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Batphreak
Veteran

ORIGINAL: triton

That's right and the thuren linkage will replace all of it. Ball joints suck and replacing them with heim joints is the way to go
I've looked at the Thuren stuff a number of times, I see all the steering and suspension parts on the website, I see nothing the replaces the ball joints that are pressed into the axle and hold the steering knuckle on. Do I need to call them for info on such a product? Just so we're clear, I circled the Ball joints I'm referring to in this pic.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:16 PM
triton
Record Breaker

I see what you mean.... I don't believe there are any replacements for those. There are also ball joints in the steering which is what I was talking about.

poor quality cell phone pics...

Old 12-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Batphreak
Veteran

What did I miss?? The joints you are talking about are the steering joints, yes they're replaced with Heim joints, very nice I'm seriously considering it for my truck. However, the BALL JOINTS Nick is referring to that affect his tire moving are the ones I circled in red on the last pic. In this pic I circled the joints you are referring to in green, the BALL JOINTS that hold your wheel on I cirlced the lower one in red the upper is blocked by the steering links.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:32 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Did someone say something about a BALL JOINT ???

Old 12-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Bigriver

]ORIGINAL: Mayfair

Did someone say something about a BALL JOINT ???

[/quote]

This pic reminds me of that SouthWest Airline commercial " Do you want to get away? " Man, I bet that dude can't show his face anywhere!!

Old 12-14-2007, 07:39 PM
Bigriver

ORIGINAL: NickBeek

I am at just a hair over 50K miles.

I looked up some joints and can't seem to find any greaseable ones. I'll investigate the Thuren stuff. Would thier set up replace the stock stuff even though I won't be lifting or modifying otherwise?
I seem to remember a friend that had a Ram 1500 and had replaced his with Cadillac ball joints. I may be wrong, but I'll have to check it out. I'm pushing 48,000 miles, and I may be down this road beforeI know it also!

Quick Reply: Ball Joints Already?!!!