Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Ball Joints Already?!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 10:20 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: Ball Joints Already?!!!

I just had my front end inspected a 2nd time... the 1st time the shop told me I needed upper joints and my alignment had a 2* camber, both to the left. Not believing them I took it earlier this week to a 2nd shop and had them inspect it... asked them to come & get me if they found anything. So off to the lift I went [&:] they guy said the ball joints were good (80 k miles now) and that the steering linkage had some play in it. He got a co-worker behind the wheel & rocked the wheels back & forth and showed me which joints had the problem. passenger side tie rod end and the center link joint. the drivers side looked good. He checked side to side & up & down on both fronts to check for any play and he said they were tight.

I then sent off an email to Don about the kit triton is talking about. I'm on round 2 of emails but I will most likely end up with his kit soon. Also planning on doing a steering box stabilizer at the same time.

Old 12-14-2007, 11:06 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK good news, bad news, and more good news. Ball joints are ok, wheel bearing is bad, service manager is gonna warranty replace both wheel bearings! It pays to cultivate a relationship with a good dealer!

Old 12-15-2007, 09:42 AM
KenZ
Veteran

I don't know how close the front end of the dodge is to the Ford Superduty, I think they both use Dana 60 front axles, anyway the '99 superduty I had used up ball joints every 35k miles just like clockwork (staight from the service guy). There problem was a cheap cast ball joint that would wear out in no time. When they went the first time, it was about 2 months after I had new tires put on. Checked good at installation, then about 2 months later, noticed both tires were leaning in alot. Friends told me this was typical of the ford IFS. Unfortunately it was a straight axle. It only took 3 days to ruin $250 dollars worth of tires! When they went out the second time (along with other problems) the truck became someone else's problem. Now own a dodge with 2wd-best of both worlds!

Old 12-18-2007, 03:24 PM
solaman70592

If you are looking for greasable ball joints, check out this site, they have complete kits with all the speciality tools needed for the job, I am awaiting my kit as i type this.
http://www.quad4x4.com/Dodge%20Frt%2...p;Steering.htm

Old 12-18-2007, 10:01 PM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran

http://www.quad4x4.com/Dodge%20Front...%202003-up.htm

I read this....now i'm depressed. Time for another beer.[sm=alcoholic.gif]

Quick Reply: Ball Joints Already?!!!