Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

E D C rated tires??

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 04:32 PM
savage.basher
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E D C rated tires??

I think that the letter rating of a tire refers to the psi range that it should hold, but I'm not sure?

I have seenD load tires that have a load capacity greater than that of anE load tire,example pro comp extreme all terrain 305/65r17's have an E rating with a load capacity of 3195lbs, and then a 37x12.50r17 xtreme all terrain has a D rating and a load capacity of 3525lbs.

So for our trucks, should I be looking for an E load instead of a D load, or should I just be looking for a larger load capacity.

I am really not hauling anything so maybe a D load is OK?? The only reason I would want an E load I guess is if the rubber compound is harder so theywear slower or something??

thanks guys-

Old 12-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned
Default RE: E D C rated tires??

for the ctd powered trucks (or any 3/4ton and up), you should stay with E rated tires. they are 10ply and the rubber is a bit tougher.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:37 PM
sharx ram
Champion

Im running "E" Rated Extreme A/T's, so far Ive gotten excellant life out of them...and Im not hard on them or anything hehehe
<---------------------------------}
BTW- What are you staring at?____}

Old 12-15-2007, 04:41 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

scroll towards the bottom of this page....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...currentpage=35

it has

Load Range and Load Pressure for Passenger Tires

Load Range, Ply Rating and Load Pressure for Light Truck Tires

(LT)
and

Load Range, Ply Rating and Load Pressure for Light Truck Tires

(ST)

for those who need to know how to read a tire...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=33

Old 12-15-2007, 07:02 PM
savage.basher

I knew it had to do with the number of plys also, but still I am not sure as to whether or not a D load is OK for our trucks if you are not going to be hauling anything.

I don't haul anything or tow anything hardly at all, I am looking for a tire that is good offroad but still wears ok on the road.

I thought that maybe an E load would have tougher rubber than a D load but am not sure. If so I would rather have an E load for wear, even thought the softer rubber may be better offroad...

Those were nice links, there are definitely some people that could benefit from reading them.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:00 PM
bert0168
Professional

I believe you can run any tire you want as long as it is rated to carry theweight of the vehicle and any load in it.

My truck came with 285's rated D on it and it looked nice with the bigger tire. My mechanic buddy told me that they were not weight rated high enough for the weight of the truck (let alone any load) and I could be cited by the DOT if caught.

Called the dealership and they swapped a brand new set of 265's E rated (stock size) and I hate them [:@]but at least I'm legal on the road.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:47 PM
cujo
Captain

Yet if you look at the tires that come stock on a 2500 Power Wagon you will find they are 285/70/17 D rated. Same truck, different engine. I think the payload numbers are similar for the power wagon, but the towing numbers are far less.

Quick Reply: E D C rated tires??