Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel
View Poll Results: A poll
STACKS - 6IN. MITER CUT
8.33%
STACKS - 5IN. MITER
25.00%
SINGLE 6IN. OUT SIDE
8.33%
SINGLE 5IN. OUT SIDE
50.00%
other
8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Exhaust + Performance Poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 02:53 PM
Joel_MD
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Exhaust + Performance Poll

ORIGINAL: XXL 1500

Well.. i Don't post here much, but i will be joining this side soon w00t.
Buying a 97 2500 CTD by the end of the week.
Have already checked it out and drove it and def. can't wait to get it.
it is A/T.

i have looked around a little bit about performance upgrades for the 12V.. haven't found a HUGE amount. you 98.5+ 24V guys have it made.

I am deciding first on Exhaust setup.
i am not sure whether or not i am going to put stacks on it... or just a huge single out.

i am going to have about $1500 i am going to keep from the sale of my truck, and the purchase of the CTD.

What kinda really good performance upgrades do some of you guys know of for the 12V... i want all the
black smoke possible to fill up them stacks muah haha.

Im a chrysler master tech, so installing anything is not a challenge to me just wanna know some results you guys have had.

Thanks alot guys.
If any of you all need any wiring diagrams, service info, parts, let me know, im here to help out.
~Kev
From what I've learned by lurking on the forum here, the old 12 valve engines are a great "blank slate" for all sorts of mechanical mods and almost unlimited horsepower/torque. You'll also get better mileage than most of us 24 valve guys.

As an added bonus, if you're ever close to a nuclear bomb detonation the EMP will have no effect on your engine, since it's all mechanical. Everybody with a computer-controlled engine will be out of luck until they get a new computer. It sounds a little crazy, but all of those survival nuts who live "off the grid"drive old diesels or gas engines with point-type distributors so they're not affected by EMP.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:24 PM
XXL 1500
Captain

ORIGINAL: Joel_MD
From what I've learned by lurking on the forum here, the old 12 valve engines are a great "blank slate" for all sorts of mechanical mods and almost unlimited horsepower/torque. You'll also get better mileage than most of us 24 valve guys.

As an added bonus, if you're ever close to a nuclear bomb detonation the EMP will have no effect on your engine, since it's all mechanical. Everybody with a computer-controlled engine will be out of luck until they get a new computer. It sounds a little crazy, but all of those survival nuts who live "off the grid"drive old diesels or gas engines with point-type distributors so they're not affected by EMP.
somewhat true....
now if i had a 95 or below - PROBABLY be just OkAy

but with 97.... transmision mostly wont work - too many solenoids and sensors to control downshifts and some upshifts...
engine might, but tranny is mostly controlled by PCM after 95...
lol

Old 12-16-2007, 08:32 PM
macattack

Thats why you buy a stick. Much more fun to drive anyway.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:33 PM
XXL 1500
Captain

damn right, wish i coulda found one...

Old 12-16-2007, 09:17 PM
XXL 1500
Captain

okay well i think i am going to do the 5" exhaust out the side...
should i have muffler or no muffler?
most places sell the kits with a straight-thru muffler...

if i do without muffler, will truck sound like sh*t or really good and loud?

im going for the good and loud, but not TOO obnoxious... where even i dont like it...

input?
Thanks

Old 12-17-2007, 12:08 AM
chouseal
Veteran

As an added bonus, if you're ever close to a nuclear bomb detonation the EMP will have no effect on your engine, since it's all mechanical. Everybody with a computer-controlled engine will be out of luck until they get a new computer. It sounds a little crazy, but all of those survival nuts who live "off the grid" drive old diesels or gas engines with point-type distributors so they're not affected by EMP.
Thats why you buy a stick. Much more fun to drive anyway.
Yup. Yup.

if i do without muffler, will truck sound like sh*t or really good and loud?
I recently went to a straight pipe, and it's definitely loud, but not a crappy loud. Try it and see what you think. Nothing like hearing that turbo spool up! I may end up dropping in an Aero or some such to tone it down a bit, but for now I'm fine with it. The only time it really concerns/bugs me is when I'm trying to be reasonably quiet around the neighborhood late at night, or else running at 75 on the interstate (the constant droning sound).

Quick Reply: Exhaust + Performance Poll