Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Performance chips - do they REALLY increase MPG??

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 09:28 AM
behindbars
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Performance chips - do they REALLY increase MPG??

ORIGINAL: Drew

ORIGINAL: NCcummins

gotta love the carolina weather....b lucky if it snows a few times this year...prob wont though....

come on down to my neck of the woods and people will try and peddle snow as pure uncut cocane.
They'll be selling water like that pretty soon down there.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:31 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with the way we are going that's not too far from happening.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:33 AM
cumminalong

Honestly, if I "leave" my Juice on level 1 (uhh, doesn't happen often) and I go easy on the skinny pedal (uhhhh, doesn't happen often) and nobody pisses me off at a stop light (uhhhh, doesn't happen), then yes I see maybe 1 mpg better in day to day driving.But generally I enjoy bumping up the ponies and crapping on tailgaters too much.

Now on the highway, it's completely different. I did a bit of a test about 6 months back. I drove from Georgia to Missouri (Level 1), then Missouri to Ohio (Level 3), then Ohio back to Georgia (Stock).

What I saw was a little surprising with my Edge Juice and Attitude. The best mileage I got was on level 3 from Missouri to Ohio. The lowest I got was on the stock setting. Level 1 was a bit of a wash, as I caught a nasty headwind for half the trip up to Missouri.

All in all, if you're buying a programmer, box, chip or otherwise for mileage think of this.....

You can buy a whole lot of fuel to make up for maybe a 1 - 2 MPG difference with the amount of money you will spend on a good, adjustable box.

Now, it you buy it for the same reason some of us tards do.........make pretty smoke signals and melt expensive tires, then yes you'll get your monies worth.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:33 AM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

haha yeah for sure...sucks.....what is the percent of drought..66% in nc and 54% in GA i believe? WOW!

Old 12-19-2007, 10:18 AM
jweather

I'm using a Superchips 3805 in "Tow" mode and can get a hand-calculate 20.2 mpg. Running 10-20% biodiesel I get squeeze out another .5 mpg.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:45 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

There are so many variables it's crazy. But what worked for me was getting the Smarty.
I stared with average 16 city and 20 highway. Then upgraded to 35" tires and got 14 city and the same 20 highway ( I thought bigger tires would help mpg). Turns out the truck was lugging in the city trying to turn those big tires.
I got the smarty and mostly use it on level 3 and now get 18 city and around 23 highway. This is all hand calculated over 2 full tanks with the Smarty so it could be off a little but seems to me I am doing about 3 mpg better with the Smarty than without.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:38 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

ORIGINAL: energinerbuzzy

There are so many variables it's crazy. But what worked for me was getting the Smarty.
I stared with average 16 city and 20 highway. Then upgraded to 35" tires and got 14 city and the same 20 highway ( I thought bigger tires would help mpg). Turns out the truck was lugging in the city trying to turn those big tires.
I got the smarty and mostly use it on level 3 and now get 18 city and around 23 highway. This is all hand calculated over 2 full tanks with the Smarty so it could be off a little but seems to me I am doing about 3 mpg better with the Smarty than without.
damn, I cant believe you get 20 on the hiway to start with... I have to absolutely baby my truck to get to 18.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:31 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

ORIGINAL: energinerbuzzy

damn, I cant believe you get 20 on the hiway to start with... I have to absolutely baby my truck to get to 18.
I get around 22 to 23 on the highway with Smarty on 60 HP with timeing and thats at 75mph @ 1850rpm's. That is what I got on my last hand calculated tank. This tank is a different story as I have been getting on it quite a bit but I still bet I am near 20 even with playing around here and there.

Keep in mind though , that was only a 300 mile straight drive at 75 mph with almost no slow downs. I really don't get the chance to test out the highway milage too much. I have run 2 tanks in the city, really half city half conjested highway. I got 17 on the first tank and 18 on the second. Both were 25 gallon fill ups and both hand calc.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:33 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

is yours a manual tranny or AT?

edit: oh yeah, arent you down in the south somewhere? do you ever see the blended winter fuel?

Old 12-19-2007, 03:46 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

ORIGINAL: steve05ram360

is yours a manual tranny or AT?

edit: oh yeah, arent you down in the south somewhere? do you ever see the blended winter fuel?
It's an auto tranny and yes I am in Houston. All flat and no winter fuel here.

Quick Reply: Performance chips - do they REALLY increase MPG??