Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Newbie Cummins Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 03:27 PM
cumminalong
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie Cummins Question

If it's in the computer, it can be modified. Just need to find a dealer that will do it, as most won't, or wait for an aftermarket programmer for that bad boy.

Just remember, these things are made for the average Joe that doesn't get as silly interested in things as most of here do. They are designed to turn the key and go, same with the shut down.

When you start it, let it idle aminute (or get a remote starter) and go. Just don't hammer on it until the temp come up over 140* or so. At shut down....if you're unloaded, easy driving....just shut her down and it fine. If you came off the highway, give it a minute or two. If you just towed heavy, let it run 5 minutes after pulling in and it's all good.

Do yourself a favor, if you haven't already, get the high idle enabled. It helps a bit on those real chilly mornings. Also, turbo timers are relativley cheap. You can get a stand alone unit or get a remote start that has the turbo timer feature on it.

The timer on the Attitude works great. You can set it for time or temp. If you mount the EGT probe in the pre-turbo location, use time. If you mount it post-turbo, use the temp setting at 300* or so.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:33 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Damndude it's as if you never left at all.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:29 PM
cumminalong

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

Damndude it's as if you never left at all.

Did ya miss me?

I'm not quite back at 100%yet.....

I haven't picked any fights with a Hemi guy yet?

Old 12-19-2007, 07:34 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

ORIGINAL: BiggBlu601

hmmmmmm cool a nice bit of info. i really didnt know about the shut off time. i usally stop and turn it off as soon as i put it in park. thats something will have to start doing know.
I normally coast home in my community about 3 blocks, then let it idle for about 1 minute after a 30 minute freeway ride home.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:51 AM
jonfouts

i have a 2006 5.9 cummins with 12000 mile check eng. lite keeps comming about every 4000 mile they tell me computer needs updated i drive a 18wheeler never had heard of this anyone have the same thimg

Old 01-01-2008, 12:07 PM
solarwarp
Veteran

ORIGINAL: jonfouts

i have a 2006 5.9 cummins with 12000 mile check eng. lite keeps comming about every 4000 mile they tell me computer needs updated i drive a 18wheeler never had heard of this anyone have the same thimg

Hi Jon Fouts... welcome to DF CTD Forum.

Anyway, there is a way to check to see what the codes are. Just flip the key on then off, 3 times leaving in the on position the third time, the code will show up where the odometer is. Be ready with a pencil they flash by. (BTW, don't bump the starter.)

Post the codes here and someone will be happy to help you.

Happy New Year!!!

Quick Reply: Newbie Cummins Question