Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Newbie Cummins Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 01:16 AM
BiggBlu601
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Cummins Question

aight so i can admit this is the first diesel that i have ever owned, and being that i havnt had it since Aug. im learning more and more. anywayz iv got a question on starting and idle on my 6.7l cummins. its getting a little cooler around my home and all now and i dont wanna tear anything up or trip any kind of codes. i know it stated something like to not let it idle for very long but i dont wanna just jump in the truck from a cold start and put it in gear and haul butt. it dont get to cold down here every year in mississippi. lows are around the high 20's or mid 30's so it not super cold or anything and i dont see things such as snow lol. anywayz any help would be great so this truck will last me for a long long time. thanks again. [&:]

Old 12-19-2007, 01:28 AM
agargano98
Veteran
Default RE: Newbie Cummins Question

where did you hear that???? it is a diesel, it can idle forever. it is a 6.7 like mine and has a nice feature. when it is cold it will actually idle high for a few minutes (about 1200 rpm) and go back down for a few minutes. this is intended to help with the warmup. read your owners manual and it explains the entire startup process. also depending on your driving you need to let it idle from 2 to 5 minutes before shutting down in order to allow the oil to cool the turbo.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:23 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Turn the key to the ON position, wait for the WAIT TO START LIGHT to go out, and fire it up. Let it idle for a couple of minutes and you are good to go. I'd stay below 2K on the tach until you see the temps comming up.

As far as shutting it down, I wait until the pyro gauge reads around 400. You probably don't have a pyro gauge though, so if you haven't towed, you can probably shut down abouta minuteafter parking.

20 - 30 degrees is still kinda cold. You may find a winterfront helpfull for warm ups. I'm running one and temps here are in the 30 - 40's right now. Also plugging it in 3 hours before you fire it up will help with the warm up as well.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:40 AM
UpBranchLiner

The 6.7 can plug their DPF's if they idle for too long (hours on end) and then not getting them up to highway speed for them to regen. I wouldnt be to worried about it.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:19 AM
cookie88
Rookie

same dont worry, besides it takes a long time to come up to operating temp if you just let it sit and idle

Old 12-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

extended idleing can cause the injectors to carbon up. . .enabling the high idle helps with this.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:36 PM
BiggBlu601
Veteran

hmmmmmm cool a nice bit of info. i really didnt know about the shut off time. i usally stop and turn it off as soon as i put it in park. thats something will have to start doing know.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:48 PM
behindbars

My buddy has an '01 with 125k on it. He shuts her down as soon as he stops. Even after towing or being hard on it. Never had any trouble stock turbo.
I'm not gonna chance it. Got my cooldown timer set at 300 degrees.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:02 PM
pselkhunter

Well, the problem is when you are 30 miles from nearest town and at work on location (Rig Welder) and it is 20deg to below zero it might be nice to have a heater. Here is the problem the with the 08 The Fancy computer on this model will show you the percentage of run time you have left at idle, once it goes to 0% the engine shuts down. It take about 30 to 40 minutes normally. Any Fixes

Old 12-19-2007, 03:09 PM
UpBranchLiner

I believe it was a welder who said he had that same problem. I dont think we heard back from him. Sounds like a headache.

Quick Reply: Newbie Cummins Question