Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Edge vs. Smarty

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 12:32 AM
Luongo#1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edge vs. Smarty

I'm ready to take the plunge and splurge on a programmer. I've talked to a few people and they've told me to go either Edge or Smarty, so I'm looking for some more input. Or if there is any other brand to go with let me know. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:36 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default RE: Edge vs. Smarty

depends on what else you have in your truck... if you dont have gauges, go with the edge IMO... if you do have gauges... go with the smarty. I think the performance of the smarty (from what i've heard) will benifit you more. i've had the edge and liked it for its all in one gauge package, defueling and multiple settings. havent had the smarty yet... coming soon though.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:37 AM
reed
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Luongo#1

I'm ready to take the plunge and splurge on a programmer. I've talked to a few people and they've told me to go either Edge or Smarty, so I'm looking for some more input. Or if there is any other brand to go with let me know. Thanks in advance.
I have the Edge with Attitude and I've been very happy with it. I can change my power needs on the fly and I like the ability to display up to 4 different parameters on it, such as Boost Pressure, Trans Temp, etc.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:40 AM
Mayfair
Legend

I'm happy with my Edge and would recomend them to anyone.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:55 AM
cumminalong

Ones a programmer, ones and add-on box.

Which do you prefer?

The programmer does just that, programs the computer with new data.

The box just changes the signals from the computer to the engine.

The Smarty is the onlyprogrammer that does not leave a traceable signature (at dealer level anyways). The Edge is completely removeable and leaves no trace. If you are concerned with warranty work.

But, I must throw in my disclaimer....If YOU break it, YOU fix it. Don't expect the dealer to do it. It just makes everything more expensive for the rest of us.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:38 AM
Super Dave
Veteran

Also it depends on how far you are going to go with the power mods. Edge can take you to about the 500 HP mark, but after that it won't play well with most programmers. If you don't plan on doing any more big upgrades, I'd say the Edge is probably the one for you.

The Smarty is the programmer of choice for guys making BIG power, but you need the other mods to support it on the high settings. If you think you'll keep doing upgrades (bigger turbo/twins/big injectors/twin fuelers/etc.) the Smarty will be the one for you, but do get a full set of guages to go along with it.

Keep in mind thathigher than level 3 on either the Edge or Smarty (~75 HP) will require tranny upgrades

Old 12-20-2007, 07:47 AM
sharx ram
Champion

I run the Edge "Hot Juice" w/Attitude and Love it, I would recomend it to anyone who wants to play.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:12 AM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

I run the EDGE with Attitude and LOVE IT!......and run the SMARTY....I'm not sure if I would like the smart ALONE but together they are crazy!

Quick Reply: Edge vs. Smarty