Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Freeze plug

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 01:44 PM
1maddude
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freeze plug

I have a 2004 dodge ram 2500 diesel. I have had to have it towed/returned to the dealership 5 times because the freeze plug keeps blowing out. Anyone with the same problem? Anyone with any suggestions?

Old 12-23-2007, 01:55 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Default RE: Freeze plug

it's known to happen when you water pressure gets too high. Some have installed plates with a valve and return line back to the radiator.
Some, like myself took a steel plate and blocked the two rear plugs on either side. I had a couple pieces custom cut to do the job. It's very easy to do... just take a steel plate with a couple holes drilled out for the bolts.

Since you're under warranty... I suppose you'll just have to keep going back. The is unless they'll block off the plugs for you... then you be done with it.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:21 PM
1maddude

Don't understand. Why is the freeze plug blowing out before the radiator cap discharges the pressure? Also, you say you plugged the holes with a custom plate - the plate was then bolted to the block?

Old 12-23-2007, 02:34 PM
triton
Record Breaker

not sure why buut, it happens all the time. Especially with higher hp engines. Because of running high rpm's the water pump makes more pressure than it should. It may be blowing the freeze plugs because the pressure is in the block after the thermostat. Have you noticed if it does it when cold /hot or anytime ?

here's the kit I mentioned.....

Old 12-23-2007, 03:05 PM
1maddude

Thanks - I'm just really frustrated with Dodge right now.

Quick Reply: Freeze plug