Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 04:18 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cold weather

How does the RED 911 PS work? If the fuel in my fuellines is gelled, how does pouring somthing in the tank help out? Seems that the stuff in the lines would have to re-liquify before the 911 red will flow to the gelled fuel?

Big dummy me used some diesel that I had bought back in the summer and it did not have any anti-gell in it at all. The temp got down to 25 degrees and my truck quit working. I had to push it into the garage and fire up the heater to get things flowing again. Even sitting at 80 degrees for four hours andwith a bottle of the white anti-gel in the tank, the fuel lines were the last thing to thaw. I had to disconnect the fuel lines and blow the last little bit of gelled fuel out with an air hose. Would the 911 have done the trick?

Old 12-26-2007, 04:21 PM
2008cummings
Professional

this might be dumb but how you know it is gelled up? just doesn't start?

Old 12-26-2007, 04:24 PM
cujo
Captain

ORIGINAL: 2008cummings

this might be dumb but how you know it is gelled up? just doesn't start?
Either it doesn't start since things are gelled so bad, or worse it starts and runs, but there are enough wax crystals beginning to form that after a while it will clog at the fuel filter and leave you stranded on the side of the road.

Now with that said, once the weather starts to turn cooler, those areas affected usually blend #2 diesel with #1 to lower the cloud point and help prevent gelling. I personally wouldn't rely solely on that and would add some form of anit-gel if you are in a colder climate.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:29 PM
2008cummings
Professional

well plan on running the anti gel up to vt.. hopefully to avoid.. also if i remember correctly the new gen of dodge have fuel heaters as well?

Old 12-26-2007, 04:35 PM
cujo
Captain

Assuming that the 6.7 works similarly to the 5.9, the fuel heater only works for the first few minutes after you start the engine if the outside temp is at a certain level or colder. That's just to help get you going a little easier.

I grew up on a farm surrounded by diesel farm equipment. With a little prevention we never had gelling issues.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:42 PM
cujo
Captain

ORIGINAL: CowboyBob

How does the RED 911 PS work? If the fuel in my fuellines is gelled, how does pouring somthing in the tank help out? Seems that the stuff in the lines would have to re-liquify before the 911 red will flow to the gelled fuel?

Big dummy me used some diesel that I had bought back in the summer and it did not have any anti-gell in it at all. The temp got down to 25 degrees and my truck quit working. I had to push it into the garage and fire up the heater to get things flowing again. Even sitting at 80 degrees for four hours andwith a bottle of the white anti-gel in the tank, the fuel lines were the last thing to thaw. I had to disconnect the fuel lines and blow the last little bit of gelled fuel out with an air hose. Would the 911 have done the trick?
I've wondered that as well, and personally hoping I never have to find out. I believe there is an explaination on the PS web site.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:02 PM
UpBranchLiner

Part of RED 911 is supposed to be dumped into the fuel filter housing according to the bottle. Id have another fuel filter with you as well.

Quick Reply: cold weather