Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Trip Report: Edge Juice Settings

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007 | 10:23 AM
cumminalong
Default Trip Report: Edge Juice Settings

Okay, here is a brief trip report from our recent trip from Columbus, GA to Albany, NY.

Truck: '06, QC, 4X, AT, 3.73's

I tried to keep this as consistent as possible for this one. What I did was set the cruise at 2000 RPM for the WHOLE trip, up and back, minus times that I had to pass or someone ticked me off and got the gas face. I filled up when the fuel light came on and this generally gave me 30 gallons of fuel, plus or minus a half gallon or so.

First leg, I had the Juice on level 3. This netted me 558 miles on the tank.

Second leg, I had on level 2. This netted me 578 miles on the tank. I had to fill up as soon as I got to Albany.

Now, the trip back had a little snafu, as I had the winter blend when I filled up in NY, BUT get this....On level 1, with winter blend and a bit of a rain storm, I got 612 miles out it.

The second leg back was on level 1 and was on good 'ole No. 2 LSD (not the ULSD) that I got at the TA in Virginia. This is still in the tank and I have about 1/4 of a tank left.

So, on the highway, consistent speed, consitent load, there are a some differences in the mileage that you will get out of your Juice, if you keep out of the throttle too much. You can do the math to figure out the exact mileage differences, but this should give you and idea of what it'll do.

A few other things I "observed" on this trip. RPM is not necessarily the indicator of how you're doing on mileage. My best indicators were the boost gauge and the EGT gauge. Here what I saw....

This is level ground, cruise at approx 72 MPH...

Good mileage numbers came when the EGT's were between 550 - 625 and boost numbers were in the single digits.

Higher boost numbers w/ the EGT's still in that range, mean that you're turning more RPM's than needed and thus burning more fuel.

Higher EGT's w/ boost numbers still in the singles mean that you're lugging the engine, creating heatand thus burning more fuel.

Soooo, RPM's are one indicator but not necessarily the best indicators (just an opinion). What I did was start paying attention to the boost and EGT numbers more so than the RPM's on much of the return trip.

Anyways, sorry the post is long. Hope that helps a few folks that are wondering about the mileage questions with the Juice. I still get better mileage IN TOWN on level 3 than on the other settings.

Old 12-30-2007 | 10:33 AM
behindbars
Default RE: Trip Report: Edge Juice Settings

Nice post.

I found the same thing with mine. As long as I can keep the boost below 10 it makes a big difference in mileage.I almost always keep mine on level one though.

My worst mileage yet was 14.7[:@] by hand last tank with winter blend, 120 miles of 4 wheel drive in the snow, and a bunch of idle time. Lie-o-meter said 17.3. That was the only time it was really off. Must have been the 4wd.

Old 12-30-2007 | 10:42 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

x2 on the nice post comment...

with the numbers your putting up there you should be in the 700 mile range per tank... (with the tank ventmod) did you ever do the hand calculations?

Old 12-30-2007 | 10:49 AM
cumminalong

I have't done the tank vent yet. Hasn't been one of my big priorities yet. Besides, ALL of my tools are at the house in South America. I don't even have enough stuff here to change the friggin oil. I had to take it in to get the oil changed when I got home. [:@]

Here are the numbers based on the above ones. Remember, I was +/- a half gal when I filled up at the fuel light.

Level 3, 558 miles, 30 gals of fuel: 18.6

Level 2, 578 miles, 30 gals of fuel: 19.2

Level 1, 612 miles, 30 gals of fuel: 20.4

These numbers are based on 2000 RPM's, 72 MPH, cruise control for 90% of the drive.

Old 12-30-2007 | 10:56 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

great write up!

all you need , tool wise, to change the oil is a crescent wrench and a long screw driver

I know you said the truck is an 06. so the engine is a 5.9L ?

Old 12-30-2007 | 11:05 AM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

great post...i average 20mpg on the way up and about 15 on the way back....i tend to have a heavy foot on the way back and make it in about 14 hours from maine to nc...and on the way up it takes from 16-18....

Old 12-30-2007 | 11:07 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

damn nice numbers! how many miles on your truck?

Old 12-30-2007 | 11:12 AM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

if you were replying to me...i just turned over 116,000

Old 12-30-2007 | 11:52 AM
cumminalong

Steve,

Right now, I just turned 23K on it. Remember, it just sits in my driveway while I'm in SA.

Kev,

Yes it's a 5.9.

The Lie-O-Meter was consitently 1.5 - 2 MPG higher. I was anywhere between 20.3 and 22.6 on that thing. The only time I really look at the Li-O-Meter is to get a "right now" reading when I'm checking the EGT and Boost numbers.

Quick Reply: Trip Report: Edge Juice Settings