Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

TQ Convertor or Tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 09:52 PM
Aero Ram
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TQ Convertor or Tranny?

On the way back down here from OK - FL I ran my programmer on 70 HP setting thinkin it would be fine using a higher setting at a steady highway speed, rarely got on it (passing and such), Now while driving it if I get on it more than about half throttle the RPMs will jump and stay steady as the speed climbs up to it then it shifts and does the same, if less than about half throttle RPMs climb with the speedo, was this something I missed before?

I was thinkin I mighta roasted my TQ Converter but could it be loose tranny belts.... I never have adjusted them or messed with them on anyvehicle for that matter so not sure exactly what they do if their loose... The truck is an 06 and has roughly 19.2k on it, Thanks guys!

Old 12-31-2007, 10:11 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Default RE: TQ Convertor or Tranny?

be careful man ! The smarty removes torque management so the trans can only take so much of the throttle on the higher settings before eventually slipping. Not saying that is your issue but please keep that in mind if your not ready to do work on the trans. It doesn't take much to burn them. I'd say if you didn't notice it before the smarty, it's the smarties added power doing it.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:15 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

so do you think its the tranny slippin or the TQ conv?

Old 12-31-2007, 10:20 PM
triton
Record Breaker

it's the TQ if it's slipping. A triple disk TQ, VB upgrade and input shaft would be recommend for you to know you can count on your trans.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:28 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

where might I find one and what might it cost?

I was assuming runnin 70hp setting would be fine on the highway since I wouldn't be takin off much, was I wrong can it still **** it up?

If I do upgrade the TQ Conv will my tranny still be safe...? should I go to the dealer and try to just get it replaced at warranty and take it easy?

Old 12-31-2007, 10:33 PM
triton
Record Breaker

you know I forgot you have a Jr. For what I understand, the stock tranny can handle about an 60hp increase in power. You're right that you should be able to run that box without any work done. The box was made for those that didn't want to do a bunch of work. Those upgrades I mentioned would run you about $2500. You're talking warranty so I'm sure that's not something you had in mind to do.

If it continues, I'd remove the smarty and see what the dealer has to say.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:41 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

yeah I hadn't planned on upgradin the tranny for a good while, I got the truck used with 15k on it so the guy before me may have been hard on it...

I hear 60 is considered safe so I usually run 40hp but just tried the 70hp for highway mpg which worked good. I never have tried the 100hp setting cause I didn't wanna run into a problem like this, guess I'll run it until it gives more trouble I rarely go over 1/2 throttle anyways, then we can make sure this smarty is really undectable lol

Old 01-01-2008, 12:55 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

I'm no expert on the smarty so take this for what it is worth. I have read that in order for the smarty to be Less detectible you need to return to stock and runaround some in stock mode before you test it. Like I said, I don't know this to be fact, just what I have read.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:46 AM
Aero Ram
All Star

Yeah I planned on finishing off this 3/4 tank and at least one more on stock as long as the TQ conv. holds out....just to be safe

Quick Reply: TQ Convertor or Tranny?