Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Thermostat Rationality CEL Code P0128

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Ted_C_SoCal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat Rationality CEL Code P0128

My light tripped the other day on my '08 6.7 Mega 4x4 with 1500 miles and threw that code. The engine was warming to operating temp when it occurred. I just started using the engine block heater a day or so before this happened. Looking at how the computer "sees changes" I suspect there isn't anything wrong. The dealer reset CEL and said they were going to replace the thermostat when they get one in.

The attached patent information offers an explanation for how the system works.

Thermostat Rationality: [/align]A method is provided for testing a thermostat in a motor vehicle. The method includes an engine warm-up model and a thermostat diagnostic. The engine warm-up model predicts the temperature that the engine coolant temperature should be equal to at a given time after start-up. This is based on the engine coolant temperature at start-up, ambient air temperature, and how the vehicle is driven subsequent to start-up. This predicted engine coolant temperature is compared to the actual engine coolant temperature as read by an engine coolant temperature sensor. The error between the predicted engine coolant temperature and the actual engine coolant temperature is calculated and integrated over time. The thermostat diagnostic runs at a pre-selected temperature after start-up and compares the integrated error to a predetermined threshold value. Depending upon the results of the comparison, a pass, fail, or inconclusive condition is determined. [/align]

Old 01-03-2008, 02:41 PM
sabersix
Default RE: Thermostat Rationality CEL Code P0128

Did the dealer update your ECM to the latest flash (version AM for 08)? I believe this flash addressed that problem...

Old 01-21-2008, 09:43 PM
GARAM1

Had the P0128 MIL this AM (Cooling System Error / Thermostat Rationality). I had the block heater plugged in all night as the temp was down to 14 degress and was 17 when started this AM. Warmed up for about 5 minutes before driving. Drove about 4 miles before light came on.

I had the G30 recall taken care of about 2 weeks ago.

I saw no temperature differences all day driving a total of 100 miles with 3 stop and starts.

Should this be ignored or have dealer check it out or is it just a cold weather issue?

---------------------------------------------
07 6.7L CTD Quad Auto 4x2
No mods/chips[/align]

Old 01-21-2008, 10:39 PM
ga_noplugs

I had one similar to this just before christmas though with my battery sensor. Parts/Service flashed ( :-) )me and its been fine since.

Quick Reply: Thermostat Rationality CEL Code P0128