Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

turning the fuel up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 06:22 PM
moosenbabe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turning the fuel up?

Anyone know how to turn the fuel up?

I have a 92 Dodge Cumins Turbo Diesel

Thanks

Old 01-06-2008, 06:54 PM
BC847
Rookie
Default RE: turning the fuel up?

Is this a work truck or play truck?

Auto or manual?

Got a pyrometer?

What bombs have you done thus far?

Old 01-06-2008, 07:02 PM
moosenbabe

Its a lil bit of work and a lil bit of play.
Its 5 speed manual.
Whats a pyrometer?
I havent done much to it other then wheels, tires, rancho shocks, and steering stabilizer.A K&N air filter, and I put a tach in it. I have had it 5 years, and its been a great truck. I went through a flood, and had to redo my head gasket, and just put a new clutch in it. I have done all the work to it myself.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:21 PM
BC847
Rookie

"Whats a pyrometer? " . . . . ... Oh my.

A diesel engine's power output is directly related to the fuel input. More fuel, more power. As always though, nothing's for free.

With your stock truck running stock fueling, Cummins has rated the engine to produce 160hp / 400ft/lbs torque at 100% duty cycle. In doing so, the EGT's (Exhaust Gas Temperature) as measured just before entering the turbo will go no higher than 1250*F. Running higher temperatures sustained,has one risk melted pistons and such.

A 1/4 mile 15 second blast much hotter is generally OK. Don't even think about sustained higher temps when pulling a full load of hay over the mountain.

You must get a pyrometer to ensure you don't screw up the work truck side of things.

Having got one, add more fuel till you get as toasty as you dare. Want more? Add more air, then more fuel.

One can typically expect a good 50 more horse power with just tweaks o the VE IP. The best bang for $19 is a 3200rpm governor spring available at your better stocked Bosch parts house.

How fast do you want to go? [sm=gears.gif]

Quick Reply: turning the fuel up?