Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel
View Poll Results: A poll
Leave the Cat and just add the Aero where the Stock muffler is.
17.65%
Delete the Cat and muffler and Add the Areo
64.71%
Take a long rod and gut the Cat and be done with it?
17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Exhaust Delima

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 06:39 PM
cujo
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Exhaust Delima

Dude you forget to take your medicine again? J/K

I tend to be the same (bat ears and all), it's a querk, I like to get it right the first time. I would love for my truck to sound like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc4uljy4MeE&NR=1 but I know I would grow tired of it after awhile (and so would the neighbors).

Step back and take a deep breath.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:53 PM
04QC4X4
Captain

My cat was plugged so I had to cut it off. I thought I could just loosen the clamps and take it off and clamp on a new pipe, but it was all so rusted together that I had to cut it off with a torch. I went to an exhaust shop and they welded up another pipe in its place. The truck sounds a little deeper in tone, but no louder in the cab and I haven't noticed any gains fuel mileage wise. Just wanted to let you know that if you have a few miles on the truck you probably won't be able to get the muffler off without cutting. Let us know what you decide.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:04 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

i say gut it all and give her a listen frm the turbo, then if its to loud add an aero, and then if its to loud from there add another aero or straight thru muffler of lesser value

i have done then all..... stock, straight pipe, aeroxl, aeroxl + another straight thru muffler, and my most recent JUST THE DOWN PIPE which was crazy loud! but straight pipes arnt that bad when you go all the way to the back, and when you add an aero to the mix its a very simular sound to stock but louder. for under 100$ you can cut the cat and muffler out, buy the delete pipe and find a short piece of 4" pipe for the cat and install in your drive way with clamps (temperary) and you can always add from there... goodluck

Old 01-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Aero Ram
All Star

trust me droppin that muffler gives it a nice deep tone sounds great I promise, I wish I cut the cat out at the same time though....and I was really picky about highway noise if that tells you anything....chop um both I'll pry get my cat chopped off soon when I can

Old 01-07-2008, 09:38 PM
ZmanTRX4
Professional

I was just like you are now. I'm OCD when it comes to exhaust sounds, I was like that on all my mustangs, my dodge gasser and now even more with my diesel. I don't like hacked up, mangled exhaust and I wanted to do this one right the first time so that I wont waste money. I ended up going with a 4" mbrp catback (my buddy drank too much and ordered it for me online) and called it quits. At first it was really quiet sounding, but after a couple months it got louder and sounds great IMO. It's very tame on the highway, but sounds great with the windows down cruising through town. And when I pulla trailer it's music to my ears. I still contemplate on removing the cat, but i havn't gone that far yet. If I were you, i'd replace your muffler and see what you think, and if it's not loud enough, removed the cat. You won't waste money that way and you won't start off being too loud and wishing you hadn't spent the money.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Delima