Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New guy, needs some help please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 06:56 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New guy, needs some help please!

Thanks for the help guys! Here’s an update, I spoke with them today around 3:30EST and they gave me some bad news... Apparently might need a new engine.
Sounds like it is time to take it some place else.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:33 PM
cmtrue

Yeah, idk... I figure they will give me some crap about the chip but, I put it back to stock before it went in so. Im going up there in the morning to check it out, I might end up having it towed out and taken some where else. But

Old 01-15-2008, 07:52 PM
2008cummings
Professional

How does putting the chip back to stock not mean you never used the chip when it is clearly there. They do have to prove that the chip ruined the engine, but you should have a 5 yr 70 or 100k warranty

Old 01-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Sick_340

ORIGINAL: Hauler6

I think your warranty is toast since you told them you have a chip and left it in there.
As far as the warranty goes, a warrantyis a warranty. As with any aftermarket item: they have to be able to prove that beyond the shadow of a doubt thattheitem was the reason for catostrafic failure to void the warrenty. It has been written elsewhere buy the "defenders of the warrenty", just check your facts and be vigilant about standing your ground!!

All they need to know is you had that chip in your truck because you just bought it from a friend, and have not put in on yet ..... (even though you have already said something about it). Good luck and I hope it works out for you....

Old 01-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Deleted User
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 01-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tobinj

Go get your truck, put the belt back on, change the fuel filter, check your lines for clogs (sucked all the sludge out of the bottom of the tank), prime the fuel system and it should start. If the truck is acting the same as before when you try to start then check your pump.

Ive had 3 CTD's and have never had a problem or heard of one just up and dying at 68K miles. I definateley would not let that dealer do a thing to it. If you cant get it to start then just take it somewhere else.

Just my .02

This is good advice...

Old 01-16-2008, 10:42 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sick_340

ORIGINAL: Hauler6

I think your warranty is toast since you told them you have a chip and left it in there.
As far as the warranty goes, a warrantyis a warranty. As with any aftermarket item: they have to be able to prove that beyond the shadow of a doubt thattheitem was the reason for catostrafic failure to void the warrenty. It has been written elsewhere buy the "defenders of the warrenty", just check your facts and be vigilant about standing your ground!!
Don't want to dispute anything here but If this truck does need a new engine (which I doubt), Dodge is going to want to know what killed it before they pay the repair bill. If the tech or service manager tells Dodge that there was a programmer on the truck, its not going to be a good day. If Dodge sends someone out to inspect the truck and they see that a programmer or any other un-approved mod was on the truck, Dodge will refuse the warranty repair. They are not going to try to prove that the programmer caused the problem. They have an "out clause" in the warranty that they will use to deny the repair. Please don't shoot the messenger, I just want to share an experienced point of view so that you can go into the dealership with as much information as is possible. If you need more advice or help, PM/Call me....DAVID

Old 01-16-2008, 11:45 PM
6inarow
Professional

Why did it throw the belt? I have never seen one throw a belt due to running out of fuel. I think theres more to this than running out of fuel. I reallywould really doubt that engine needs replaced but......Why did it throw the belt, idler, alternator, water pump sieze? did it really get hot? I belive alot ofthis could be solved if we have all the info.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:46 PM
cmtrue

Hey guys, sorry it’s been so long between updates... I want to take a minute to say thanks to you all for welcoming a new comer to the forums and really going out of your way to help me out. Thanks dudes....

Now on to the updates!

I spoke with dodge today and thank god its nothing serious at all... an injector went out! A simple little injector, funny how that works... first the engine has lost compression and then opps it’s just a tiny injector. Now to figure out what would cause one to go bad other than general wear and tear??

So fast forward a little bit, they fixed the truck under warranty but hit me up for some maintenance... I just had almost 1k of maintenance work done about two months ago so I think everything’s in check. So I figured I would call the dealer I took it to for the maintenance work and have them pull a record of what was done so that I don’t double up anything. Well.... they can’t find the record so I figure hey better safe than sorry right? So I gave them the big OK to go ahead and do themaintenance work (tranny flush, brake flush etc...) a total of $1,100 worth… so long story short I'll take that and a little headache over a blown engine and a heartache any day.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good to hear. . .now lets hope they put that injector in right.