Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

bully dog

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 12:29 PM
shampoo
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bully dog

howdoes the bully dog power pup work. anybody now?

Old 01-15-2008, 03:37 PM
amock
Professional
Default RE: bully dog

ORIGINAL: shampoo

howdoes the bully dog power pup work. anybody now?
Dont even think about using Bully Dog. Bully Dog screwed my truckupbad and has screwed up a lot of trucks around here that I have known. One guys powerjoke ended up with a fried computer and theres been numerous other guys that have pulled in to my buddies shop(which owns Midwest Diesel Performance) with problems with Bully Dog. So I advise going with Edge or Banks. or Smarty

Old 01-15-2008, 04:24 PM
aka_chewy
All Star

Yeah...I haven't heard many good things about Bully Dog, you seem to pay for their name.

What are you looking for out of a programmer/module?

I have a Quazilla XZT which is a 65hp/165lbs tq box that just plugs and plays. No adjustablility to it, but I did notice up to a 3 mpg increase. Most of the time it was 2 MPG. I also have a TST CR47 that is a shift on the fly device that makes alarge amount of power on it's highest settings. 195hp and 600lbs/tq. On it's ecomomy settings, I notice a 1-2 MPG gain. A shameless plug, but I am selling both of them if you are at all interested. They are good for the 03-04 cummins.

Others will chime in with their thoughts, so sit back and enjoy.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:26 PM
shampoo
Rookie

but still, does it use fuel pressure or what. how does it work. thanks for the response

Old 01-15-2008, 04:29 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

Whatever you decide to get, your gonna wish you had an upgraded tranny to handle the new power. I have and extra 170 HP avaliable to me but I can only use 60 hp of it or i'll say bye bye to my torque converter!
I have the Smarty by the way.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:29 PM
shampoo
Rookie

why are you selling them?

Old 01-15-2008, 04:50 PM
aka_chewy
All Star

I'm only selling them because i don't really utilize them. I took the Quad out when I got the TST and other than a few times playing around, the TST stays at 1/0 or 0/0. I only put about 300-400 miles/month on my truck and I'd like to get a lift/rims/tires for it. It came with the bushwacker pocket flares on it, but the tires sit a good 2-3 inches inside them so when you look from the front or from the back, it looks terrible. It's a pet peeve of mine and I want to take care of that.

Short Answer is, I'd rather use the money for something else.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:02 PM
KenZ
Veteran

Just a little info, friend of mine has a brother who owns a truck accessories store (lucky guy). He runs a Banks 6-gun and loves it. When I asked about the Bully Dog, he says his brother quit carrying them as he was getting alot of them back for warranty as they were screwing up the trucks computers, all three brands. My shop foreman has a bullydog in his 2001 powerstroke and likes it, so I think this problem with bullydog might be a recent problem. I am also thinking of a programmer of some sorts, and to me it seems the edge juice/attitude is the one I see people use the most and haven't heard anything bad about them. Good luck.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:06 PM
shampoo
Rookie

thanks fo rthe info too. maybe i need to stay away from the bullydog.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:21 PM
bekim
Professional

The Power Pups including the Triple Dog use timing, fuel pulse/duration and fuel pressure to produce performance. Depending on the setting and rpm range. The fuel pressure rises only on performance an extreme settings and only at higher rpm's. The tow setting uses timing advance and injection pulse control to produce mild Hp gains. On the "tow" setting I get about 1.5 mpg higher highway and about 1 mpg higher city.
I have not read a lot of posts about the box itself screwing up people's motor/tranny, but I have read a few posts about software/ECM problems. Most people's fried trannies and burnt pistons come from hard use on higher power levels.

You've got to face the fact that when you plug one of these modules into your OBD II port and load a program, there's a risk of software issues. And if the software loads properly, then there is a risk of damaging your drivetrain.

If you have a problem with these risks, stay stock.
Mike
###

Quick Reply: bully dog