Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Valve Pinging on my 06??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 06:09 AM
Mr.Inferno
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Pinging on my 06??

I've noticed that it seems I have a little valve pinging on my CTD. Is this normal or is it something I should be worried about. It seems it only does it when I put the throttle down 1/2 ways or better. Then when it is up to rpm it quits. So, it's only when it's under a load. Kind of sounds like a gaser when you have bad gas in it or wrong gas and the valves ping under a load. What do you guys think?? Runs just fine, no miss or anything like that..

Old 01-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Valve Pinging on my 06??

is it louder when the engine is cold???

I'd say youve got some carbon buildup on an injector or two.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:51 PM
triton
Record Breaker

this has become quite the problem with a number of trucks people post about. Personally, I think it the fuel we're having to run now. My wifes truck is louder and pingier then my truck and hers has 5K on it with zero mods but, a exhaust and air intake. My truck has it bad and i thought it may because i have lower compression but, after seeing so many post their complaints about the same issue... it's obviously something else.

Inferno... try running some fuel additive. You can also use some 2 stroke oil in a few tank fulls to see if that will help. My wifes truck is now at the point I'm trying the some thing. Results aren't in yet but, I bet it's gonna help.

You can also check with you dealer to see if they're any flash updates for your truck. That may help also.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Mr.Inferno

It seems to not do it when it's cold. Only when warm. I noticed to day when I was out it was-5 f outside and didn't notice the pinging at all. I've also tried different additives and nothing seems to work. I did check with my dealer and there are several updates with my truck including the excessive cranking when warm update. Next oil change I'm going to have them Flash it. I have nothing to lose especially fuel mileage. 14 mpg intown and 13 on highway. Thanks .

Old 01-18-2008, 06:13 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

My truck has done it since day one. It does change with load and wheather and fuel. I believe it has to do with how our newer trucks are programmed to meet emission standards, and that "in cylinder solution" to EGR. In other words I think it's normal.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:57 PM
Dezertlex

My buddy's 05 did that for a while then it dropped a exhaust valve, wasted the lower end, head and then the turbo.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:30 PM
al5608
Professional

My truck was making a new noise when warmed up. I wouldn't call it a pinging noise though, I would say it sounding more like a knocking noise. Took it to the dealer and they said it sounded normal, but he would have the tech look at it. Turned out that t was the injector pump. They called Cummins, and they said it was a normal sound, but they can do a "customer satisfaction repair" to get rid of the noise. The service manager said the repair involves retarding the pump gear 30 degrees and it lessens the noise. Well it worked, no more noise. Cummins say's if the noise comes back, it is OK. There is no engine damage that is going to happen from what ever is causing the noise. But I am courious to know, why did it start making the noise in the first place?

Old 01-18-2008, 11:41 PM
i11m10c2
Veteran

Triton hit the nail on the head the fuel we are getting on top of being ULSD is of a very low quality. A fuel additive is ging to be a must, atleast until they get the quality up to standard[:'(]

Old 01-19-2008, 12:19 AM
BigSkyDodge
Rookie

my 06 makes a similiar noise. Not there when cold, but as engine warms up it gets louder. Most noticable when at operating temperature. No noise when in park or neutral, but when I have it in drive and stopped at a red light it is a random ting/ping/click. It is also there when under load going up a hill and such. I too think it may normal due to fuel and such and does reduce when I use an additive. I don't like the sound at all, but want to go test drive another 06 5.9 off a used lot and see if i get the noise. I do need a new TQ and valve body. A tech mentioned that it could be the culprit, huh? but ok we will see. If it is there post warrenty work, Iwill ask them about it again and/or take it to a mechanic that is independant and have him take a listen to satisfy my curiosity.

Quick Reply: Valve Pinging on my 06??