Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Instrument cluster bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 09:55 AM
lesimon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument cluster bulbs

Has anyone change a bulb in the instrument cluster on a 2005 Ram. I tried to get it done at the dealers while still under warranty, they informed me that it was not covered and I would have to pay for it. It would have cost me $80.00 plus tax to change a 75 cent bulb. I have not done it myself yet because I only have one bulb out but I will if it not that hard. any help from someone would be appreciated.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:14 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Instrument cluster bulbs

Man this is so simple, only 5 screws and the cluster is out. If you want I cam PM or email you the pics and instructions. Or PM me your phone # and I will call and walk you through it.....DAVID

Old 01-18-2008, 11:43 PM
lesimon
Professional

Thank you David, I based the task complexity on the fact that the dealer told me that it would take one hour to change it. I will take a look at it and get back to you if I have any difficulties or questions.
I bought a Mopar remote starter for my truck and when I inquired at the dealer what the cost would be to have them install it I decided to do it myself. The dealer wanted 4.5 hrs at $90/hr to install the remote starter, a total of $457.65. It really was not that hard to install and I have had no problems with it.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:06 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I can appreciate the dealer needing to make a profit, I can have the cluster out of your truck in less than 2 minutes. I would want you to watch me do it so that you can do it yourself in the future.. i probally would have charged you just the price of the bulb. But I am not under the restraints of having to answer to anyone as to what I do...I catch some flak from co-workers about doing some stuff for free, But I have a great customer base because of it.....Let me know if I can help. BTW, maybe you could post a DIY of the remote start install, I have been bombarded lately with questions on how to do it, but I have not done one yet.....

Old 01-20-2008, 12:12 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I agree with David, Dealers and Mechanics do have to make money, sometimes it gets out of hand. I like to do whatever work I can on my truck and if I question my ability I ask for help or guideance. This is one way to know exactly what has been done.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:54 AM
lesimon
Professional

I replaced the cluster bulb yesterday and yes it was fairly easy. The hardest part was getting the electrical connectors off the back of the cluster.You where close David I had to remove 6 screws.
About the remote starter install I could do a DIY write up with pictures but now that it is already done I would have to remove the wire splice sealing. My remote starter install was a little more complex as I have the skim/skreem interface module for the anti-theft Sentry Key. I just looked at the installion manual which has actual photographs included in the install. The install manual is very well done the hardest part was finding the right wires to splice into. You really have to take your time and make sure that you get the right wire everthing was exactly where the installation instructions manual said it would be. The only problem encountered was the hood switch install at first I installed it too close to fire wall and when I closed the hood it repositioned the switch to trip. After relocating the switch forward a little more no problem. I did not do a write-up because I found that most members where purchasing remote aftermarket starters with more option than the Mopar and cheaper. I purchased and installed the Mopar remote starter because I got it for $100.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:25 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Parts/Service

BTW, maybe you could post a DIY of the remote start install, I have been bombarded lately with questions on how to do it, but I have not done one yet.....
Hey Dave, perhaps YOU could do a little DIY with pics the next time you have to remove an instrument cluster?

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster bulbs