Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

It wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 02:53 AM
Drako1313
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It wont start

i have a 95 ram 2500 sence i got it its has had a small problem starting its no big deal turn the key on and off a few times and it wound start or if it wouldent i would hit the relay a few times and it would start. i replaced the relay and the next day it did it again. i was told that the relay go's out often so i replace it. well today i went to start it and it would crank but wouldnt start. i hit the relay and nothing. the relay tests good im getting 12 volts in to the relay and i hear it click on and off when i turn the truck on. i look up the price for a pump and it shows a mechanical pump but then y do i have a relay. i dont get it dose it have both or what. im a littel confused i have the book but i let some one barrow it and now its some where in there garage. i need my truck to get to work and it bugs me to have to pay 5 bucks to it a ride to work and another 5 to get back. if u have any ideas plz let me know

Old 01-19-2008, 11:46 AM
KillerCummins
Professional
Default RE: It wont start

I believe you have an electric lift pump feeding your mechanical pump. That is probably the relay you are talking about. I know if the lift pump dies on a 2nd gen, it will kill the mechanical pump. However, I'm not sure about your 1st gen. Sorry I can't help more.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:18 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

C'mon guys, only one reply, Ido not know what it can be but hopefully someone else will jump in with some advise or possible fixes.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:49 AM
6inarow
Professional

on your drivers side battery there is a blue wire that comes off the pos terminal along with alot of others, this blue wire is the main power feed to the shutdown solenoid, disconnect all those wires and clean very well, replace eyelet ends if they look cruddy, this is where your problem is as we see this very often here at the shop, your truck has a mechanical lift pump as do all dodge pickups up to 98.5. Also check the wiring loom that comes out of the top of the shutdown solenoid/actuator, they are prone to another harness rubbing on it and causing a fire, check closely for rub through and check where the wires enter the solenoid/actuator.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:23 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: KillerCummins
I'm not sure about your 1st gen.
Drako1313's truck is a 2nd gen ctd. (1995)

Old 01-21-2008, 02:04 AM
Drako1313

ok get this i hook up my truck to let the batterys charge couse they died. i pop the water valve on the bottem of the fuel filter and it starts . the water in fuel light never came on. i go to leave the gf house and it wont start i pop the valve again and it starts right up but all thats comming out is fuel no water. o ya and i have to leave the valve open for it to start. i dont get it but it works. i also droped the tank and found no pump in there so i guess i only have a mecinacal pump. i think i need to replace the pump and filter but i dont know. i have own the truck for 4 mounth and haventreplaced it yet.

Quick Reply: It wont start