Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Auto tranny sparratic shifting

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 06:05 PM
bmgstang
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Auto tranny sparratic shifting

Just called up Dodge, $100 to flash the computer! That sucks, seems like it should be free.You don't have to pay microsoft $100 to update windows to make windows run properly. This is their mistake that they're charging me for. Whatever.... thats what I expected from a stealership. The stealership is the only option to flash the computer right?

Old 01-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Is the tranny shifting fine now?

Old 01-25-2008, 09:45 PM
bmgstang
Rookie

Unfortunately it's not moving at all now. I thought it'd be a good idea to clean the APPS out while I'm waiting on the noise filter. I followed the instructions someone posted to drill a small hole in the case and spray in some electronic contact cleaner. I'm assuming it shorted out because when I turned on the ignition the check engine light came on for the first time and the gas pedal is dead. The computer threw a code P0122. I tried the APPS reset about 5times with no luck. Now I need to find an APPS which everybody is telling me is a dealer only item, except autozone but it's like $400 there. What a headache.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:21 AM
Mayfair
Legend

You think thecontact cleanershorted it out?

Old 01-26-2008, 04:23 PM
bmgstang
Rookie

Thats the only thing I can think of. I'm pretty sure there was still some cleaner in there when I turned the ignition on because the next day I blew it out with some air and I could still smell the cleaner. Unless the computer just isn't picking up the APPS for some stupid reason. I did have the batteries unhooked and APPS unplugged. Like I said, I did try to reset the APPS like 5 times but no luck.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:12 AM
bmgstang
Rookie

This is crazy, my truck works again! I've been waiting for over a week for my newAPPS to get in. I finally got it today so I went to unhook my battery cables to drain the system so Icould reset the computer once I have the new APPS installed. My truck has been sitting for over a week, so just for the heck of it I decided to start my truck up. To my surprise the gas pedal freakin works! The check engine light is still on however. So I unhook the batt. cables for an hour come back andhook them up, turn the ignition on, reset the gas pedal, turn the ignition off then back on and the check engine light goes off and gas pedal still works. I drove the truck into town and back with no problems. I just hope it fixed itself and isn't going to quit on me again. I'm gonna hold onto this new APPS for a little while just in case. I hope I got lucky, and I would not recommend "cleaning" your APPS unless it's an absolute last resort just before you're about to throw it away!

Old 02-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Mayfair
Legend

That's freaky !!

I hope you chased those nasty Gremlins away.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:14 PM
derek wade

I got a 2006 dodge 2500 cummins that has 24850 miles on it and the transmission is acting like it is slipping from 15 to 30 mph. the oli is good and it has no mods YET can anyone help me with any ideas of what might be wrong?

Old 02-07-2008, 05:03 PM
miknwv
Veteran

I have the same truck, had the same problem. It was a ground wire on teh passenger side battery terminal that was loose. Take loose all ground connections, clean them, tighten them, and put them on...also, make sure that battery isn't dead...that could be the cause also.I was runnin on 1 battery and didnt know it.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:57 PM
bmgstang
Rookie

Yes thats the first thing to check on these trucks, all the connections. I did that and found they were all clean and tight. Since I installed the noise filter from DTT and reset the APPS the transmission has been running perfect! Highly recommend the noise filter. DTT recommends getting the latest flash from the dealer also but my truck is running perfect so I think I'll save my $100.

Quick Reply: Auto tranny sparratic shifting