Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

jacob's brake

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008 | 05:31 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: jacob's brake

Ooooooh ..... I thought you had to flip the switchON every time you wanted to stop, andOFF every time you wanted to drive. I didn't realize that you could just flick the switch to the on position and you could drive it that way all of the time.

Would it work well for city driving?

I assume that you pretty much leave it on all of the time until you reach the highway where you would turn ot off because sometimes you'd want to coast

Right ??

Old 01-22-2008 | 06:04 PM
jakebrake
Champion

Mayfair there are several switchs that are wired inline for it to work. First is the on/off switch on the dash. Next is the accelerator pedal switch. If there is any throttle input on the accelerator the switch opens deactivating the exhaust brake. Also there sometimes is a speed limit switch that if you fall under a certian speed will deactivate the exhaust brake. With an automatic you will need a pressure lock installed on the transmission so it will hold pressure when you let off the throttle or else the brake wont do much of anything. The brake can will help warm up the engine by creating backpressure in the exhaust. This puts a load on the engine which will make it warm up faster.

Old 01-22-2008 | 06:35 PM
dasnake
|
Veteran

mayfair, this is what i read over this morning, pretty good read.

http://www.jakebrake.com/products/ld-exhaust.php

Old 01-23-2008 | 12:38 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Sounds like a job for a professional install huh Jake? Do you think it would be benificial for city driving?

Old 01-23-2008 | 09:40 PM
jakebrake
Champion

An exhaust brake would be nice in the city. Mayfair you could handle the install yourself but you need a few metal working tools to fit it to your exhaust.

Old 01-24-2008 | 01:09 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Growing up as a trucker's kid, nothing sounds better than a big rig slowing down with the jake on. I once test drove a 02 ctd 6spd souped up with injectors, edge, etc. and a brake. Man, talk about a kid on Christmas morning! On the hwy, I went from 60 to 80 in about two seconds, took the off ramp, flipped the switch and giggled like a little girl. The salesman probably thought I'd lost my mind.

Quick Reply: jacob's brake