Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

jacob's brake

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 01:44 PM
dasnake
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jacob's brake

hey all, i mentioned in another thread the ram was having the gears changed to 4.10 today. on the way to the dealer i got thinking the truck was going to be there for two days i might as well get an exhaust brake installed, how many of you have them? are they much louder than the stock deceleration? i know from my years of driving a fire engine that they slow the big trucks down a lot, but do they really save as much wear and tear on the brakes as stated for our rams? any other thoughts would be appreciated, inquiring minds want to know.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: jacob's brake

I can't think of one single person who has one that has ever complained about having one or has regretted getting one. Towing that sweet azz 5-er, I'd say it's probably almost a necessity. I'm sure you're gonna love it.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:43 PM
dasnake
Veteran

hey mayfair, that was my feeling also, anything that will help slow everything down would be an asset.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:33 PM
lilfroger
Record Breaker

Got one...Love it!!

Is it all that much louder...nah not really. You know when it's on that's for sure but it doesn't rattle the windows or anything

Brings the speed down on the truck very well loaded & unloaded.

(plus it helps the truck warm up in the morning so I don't freeze the entire drive [when I get to drive it])

Old 01-22-2008, 04:34 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Igot 140k on my first set of brake pads. I'd say it's worth it. Never had to change the pads on either of my horse trailers. One is 11 years old. Yes I use mine all the time, not just when towing.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:45 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: lilfroger

(plus it helps the truck warm up in the morning so I don't freeze the entire drive [when I get to drive it])
I still don't quite understand how it does this. Do you drive with the brake on or something?

Also ... where would you mount it on an automatic?

Old 01-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Bigriver

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

ORIGINAL: lilfroger

I still don't quite understand how it does this. Do you drive with the brake on or something?

Also ... where would you mount it on an automatic?
I have a Pacbrake on my Mega. Stoppingthe trailer is an effort, but with the Pacbrake exhaust brake, it's really great. My total rig, filled with 85 gallons of fuel, 4 passengers weighed in at 26660 lbs, last summer. Imaging trying to stop that going DOWN a mountain pass, not a pretty site.

Mayfair, it's installed after the turbo. Basically its aelbow that the exhaust runs thru, only there is a butterfly flap that is forced shut by air generated from a compressor to create back pressure thru the engine, to the tranmission, to the wheels. It helps prolong the life of the brakes, and I love the looks I get when it ativates next to some joker with his window down.
There IS a switch in the cab it de-ativate if you want it off.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:16 PM
Mayfair
Legend

The switch is what I was referring to. I thought you had to throw a switch every time you wanted to engage it?

Where did you mount the switch?

Old 01-22-2008, 05:24 PM
dasnake
Veteran

i'm sixty one years old and i don't think the kid is out of me yet, i can't wait to plaster a ****eating grin on my face when i bring the ram home tomorrow.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:24 PM
Bigriver

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

The switch is what I was referring to. I thought you had to throw a switch every time you wanted to engage it?

Where did you mount the switch?
It's just a plain jane chrome toggle switch with a on-off description mounted on my dash beneath the speedo area. Once it's turned to the on position, it will ativate every time you let off the accelarator. It will stay 'flappin" untill the truck reaches around 25 mph. Once you accelerate, it de-activates untill you let off again.

Flip the switch to off, and it's like you don't even have it on the truck, your relying solely on the trucks brakes.

Quick Reply: jacob's brake