Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Hummer tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hummer tires

I've got a guy who wants to sell me used Hummer H2 tires with about 4 K off of them( allegedly ). They are BFG's 315/70-17's. He wants $400.00 for all four. I'm a little reluctant, but what do you guy's think?

Old 01-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Hummer tires

New Hummer take offs sell for twice that....

Old 01-23-2008, 12:35 PM
cujo
Captain

Well new they are about $200+ each. Depends on the situation. Did he get new tires for his ride and is just trying to recoup some cash out of his old ones? Is this a dealer or someone you know and trust? People I have talked with have a love/hate relationship with BFG A/T's. I had a set on my old Dakota, they were OK. Check them out good for blemishes that could cause trouble later. Check the condition of the bead. Make sure they balance good, out of the four I had two were slightly out of round and made them hard to balance and thus bounced a little.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Yeah, those are new take off's. These tires are used.

What kinda mileage do they get?

Do you think they'd even fit on my Ram without a lift?

Old 01-23-2008, 12:41 PM
behindbars

ORIGINAL: cujo

Well new they are about $200+ each. Depends on the situation. Did he get new tires for his ride and is just trying to recoup some cash out of his old ones? Is this a dealer or someone you know and trust? People I have talked with have a love/hate relationship with BFG A/T's. I had a set on my old Dakota, they were OK. Check them out good for blemishes that could cause trouble later. Make sure they balance good, out of the four I had two were slightly out of round and made them hard to balance and thus bounced a little.
Mark me down for a love relationship. I had a set on my old Blazer and a Durango. They are awesome in the snow and held up for a long time for me. They were also pretty quiet for the amount of tread on them.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: cujo

Depends on the situation. Did he get new tires for his ride and is just trying to recoup some cash out of his old ones? Is this a dealer or someone you know and trust? People I have talked with have a love/hate relationship with BFG A/T's.
The tires didn't come off of his truck, he is a friend of mine who sells tires and he said these are takeoffs. He's estimating the 4K, but since he's trying to sell the tires I'm sure they have more useage than what he claims. The BFG's that I have on my truck right now I bought from him because I wanted the rims, and I also needed tires. Same type of deal. I got the whole she-bang for 500 bucks rims and tires. When I bought them the tires looked dry rotted to me, but he said they were fine. Less than 6 months later and the sidewalls started to flake off. It looks horrible !! It looks like a serious case of curb rash.

I still haven't found a replacement rim, and I'm thinking about going with a setup similar to 59's.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:04 PM
cujo
Captain

Once bitten and you are thinking of doing it again? I got this bridge I'll sell to ya for cheap!

I dunno if they would fit on a stock front end anyhow. I figure 305's are the biggest I'm comfortable with running on mine without anything lifted upfront. Will largely depend on the offset of the rims I suppose.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:12 PM
GFB
Professional

You'll need a leveling kit probably, and they'll still rub a little, especially with your 3rd Gen wheels. I have to turn mine almost all the way to lock for them to rub. You'll lose 2mpg probably as well. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuut, your truck will look a lot better!

Last minute thought-- Is your truck 2WD mayfair? I'm so, I'm not sure how your front end is setup. Mine rub on the lower control arms (4WD).

Old 01-23-2008, 09:11 PM
gdwrnch33

SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD DEAL IF THEY ARE GOOD TIRES. I HAVE 315/70 GOODYEAR WRANGLER EXTREMES ON MY 06 2500. I HAVE A FRONT LEVELING KIT AND THEY NEVER RUB. THEY LOOK GOOD ON IT ALSO.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:47 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

well mayfair its about time you move up to a real tire size you will need at least a leveling kit... but they should look sick!

Quick Reply: Hummer tires