Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Toyota Tundra 8.0L Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 12:47 AM
Dokie
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Toyota Tundra 8.0L Diesel

Energizerbuzzy.......

Have you lost your marbles?

That has got to be one of the ugliest rigs I have ever seen.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:55 AM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

well my votes in for a sweet lookin truck

and buzzy, i found your marbles...haha
Name:  Marbles.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  10.6 KB

Old 01-26-2008, 04:46 PM
roadracer18

Ford is due to have aSMALL diesel in the F-150s and Im told Nissan will have a smoker in the Titan real soon too. Both will have small engines for 1/2 ton trucks. Toyota better build a 2500-3500 series frame firstif theyhope to keep frames straight with a 8.0 smoker twisting on it. [sm=chairshot.gif]

Old 01-26-2008, 11:34 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I like certain things and dislike certain things. So far dislikes out weigh likes.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:22 AM
73Jim
Veteran

The whole import vs domestic is a subject I feel very strongly about. Being a conservative in a very liberal family the import vs domestic argument is a heated debate. I’ve always had a few points that always get under my skin:
[ul][*]A pro domestic person almost has to be apologetic when professing a preference for domestics.[*]Every problem with a domestic is a sign of poor engineering/build quality. Problems with imports are minor inconveniences and not a reflection on build "intent".[/ul]
I have a coworker who bought a used Acura Integra and WOW what a POS! Two head jobs, one entire motor and a transmission later he concluded it must have been abuse from the previous owner, and bought a new Civic. Now he was probably right, but I asked him if that had been a used Ford would he have bought a new Ford? No way! Do I think imports are/were ever better vehicles? Yes, compact cars of the 80’s and 90’s I think were of better quality. The real question is why? Overseas builders have been building compact car for a long time and domestic builders only started in the 80’s so there is a leaning curve. Much like import trucks currently. Domestic manufactures have been building truck for a long time so the import trucks are going through some growing pains. As far as the legendary reliability, let me tell you my philosophy. In the 80’s early 90’s what type of person do you think of driving an import? A schoolteacher, an engineer? Either way it would be someone who was easy on a vehicle. Now that imports are enjoying more popularity the average, more aggressive driver is behind the wheel; and the outcome is more failures. About five years ago I predicted that ten-fifteen years in the future people would start saying that imports just aren’t as reliable as they once were. The reason I believe this is you have to look at who is buying/driving these cars. In the 80’s a sixteen-year-old boy (i.e. hard on cars) wanted a Camero/Mustang. So he found the cheapest one (i.e. old/abused), bought it, beat on it, and it broke. Now in his late 20’s early 30’s he says I’ll never buy another Ford, that Mustang was a piece of junk! Flash foreword to late 90’s early 00’s and that sixteen-year-old boy wants a Civic and the cycle repeats itself. Well let me get off of my soapbox.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:05 AM
BTCRUZ
Professional

My vote: the first picture on the site looks OK. Not bad, not great. It has a sort of dull look to the paint (or is it molded in color? I didn't read the article, just looked at the pics). I normally do not like the look of the Tundra's front end (for some reason it reminds of the Cylons from the original Battlestar Galactica series and I think it's ugly on a truck), but with that bigger bumper and all it's not too terribly bad on this concept truck.

Would I buy one? Nope.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:16 AM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

I knew it was a proto type and will probably never see the light of day but I do think it is a cool looking truck. And a straight 6 in the 8.0l size, surely has the potential to be a BEAST.
I also had no Idea these trucks had so many problems. My sister owns an 06' and I am going to point these thing out to here. That picture of the truck that looks like it was rear ended just blows me away !!!

Old 01-28-2008, 10:24 AM
DBLR
Record Breaker

What do you think we would stear you wrong

Old 01-28-2008, 10:44 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: energinerbuzzy
I also had no Idea these trucks had so many problems. My sister owns an 06' and I am going to point these thing out to here. That picture of the truck that looks like it was rear ended just blows me away !!!
My question would be what hit it.....because it sure doesnt look like it got rear ended by a car doing 30mph....

All vehicles have problems. Look at the list of problems for the Ford F-Series trucks in the last month or so..... look at the list of problems the 2nd Gen Dodge Rams had.....or even better, look at the really BAD issue of brakes & rotors Chrysler/Dodge has had over the last 15 years.....do a search for that problem on this forum and you could find thousands of posts..

I'm not trying to bash any particular brand.....but every vehicle, especially a brand new vehicle, will have its fair share of issues. Some of the issues for the Tundra arent 100% Toyota's fault either. Some of its been bad manufacturing of parts they purchased. Again, Toyota needs to fix it....but consider that this truck, even with its current problems, is still a better overall vehicle then the 2nd Gen Ram was.....and Dodge has been building trucks for like 90 years...

Is it the best truck on the road? Probably not....but its a damn good effort for a company who's never truly produced a legitimately full sized truck before. (The previous Tundras were more like Dakota sized then anything) Not to mention the truck is still selling quite well...

All I'm saying is that its still not a Dodge Ram, but its closing the ground faster then some of you like. It's definitely alot better then an F150..

Old 01-28-2008, 03:50 PM
Nicky B
Captain

I believe in a video where they talk about the truck they say its like a 25% chance toyota is comng to america with a deisel truck. Also the 300/600 rating apparently from the spokeman is on a very mild tune and that 400/700 would be more realistic production power ratings.

Quick Reply: Toyota Tundra 8.0L Diesel