Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Truck won't START!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 10:36 PM
YJBrian91
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won't START!!!

OK, here's the situation. Got up this morning and it was 12 degrees. I had the truck plugged up, and I had to leave around 6:30. Fired up the truck and immediately got out to move the wife's SUV that was parked behind me. As soon as I had moved it and got out of the SUV the truck started to sputter and then died. It hasn't ever died before so thiswas sort of a shock to me. I got in and tried to start it again. It fired immedately but started to run rough and died again. This happened 3 maybe 4 times. After that it wouldn't refire again. I checked codes with the key and got P0700 which is a generic tranny code. Nothing else. Got my buddies MAC scanner and ran a diagnostic on the truck and only got the P0700 code.

I filled up three days ago at the same station that I always fill up at. It is usually around 15 cents cheaper a gallon there and I have never had a problem. However, three days ago when I filled up the tanker was there fill the stations tanks. It ran fine after filling up, but this morning was the first really cold morning since I filled up. I didn't add anything to that tank, but this morning I added 12oz. of PS and changed the fuel filter. Does this sound like frozen fuel lines or lift pump issues? Help please!!

Old 01-25-2008, 10:43 PM
YJBrian91
Default RE: Truck won't START!!!

On the MAC scanner it also gave P0514 - Battery Temperature Sensor Performance/Rationality

not really sure what that one is. I figured it might have been because I had been really cranking on the batteries, but never longer that 10 sec. or more.

Thakns for everyone's help!

Old 01-25-2008, 11:05 PM
websterdan

I'd say start with the fuel filter housing. Drain some fuel out, or just change the filter. I NEVER get gas OR fuel when I know the tanker has been there, recently.
Sounds like a bad batch of fuel to me....

Old 01-26-2008, 01:27 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Sounds like your fuel may have gelled up on you. Either that, or a bad tank of fuel.

Have you added anything to un-gel the fuel?

Old 01-26-2008, 02:41 AM
tonyslaramie
Professional

Sometimes the discount stations neglect to use the anti-gel additive packages that other stations use. How long has it been that cold in your area?

Old 01-26-2008, 10:29 AM
YJBrian91

The overnight lows have been hanging around the upper 20's except for 3 or 4 days when it has been around 8 to 12 degrees. I live in North Georgia about 2 miles from the Tennessee line.

I haven't used anything for the gelling of the fuel yet. Does anyone have any suggestions on something that they've used that has worked.

I've already drained the housing when I changed the fuel filter. It got below freezing last night and is supposed to tonight again. I think Sunday it is going to get up to 55 degrees. Maybe if it is froze up I'll be able to get it to thaw then.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:30 AM
YJBrian91

Does anyone know what the P0514 code means??? I've never heard of that one.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:55 AM
Watermelon
Captain

Check to see if there is any fuel getting to the filter. Either try to drain it or take the cap off. If the canister is dry the lift pump may have died. My 04 lift pump died on me at 90k. If you are under 100k it is covered by the warranty. good luck

Old 01-26-2008, 12:14 PM
burban2002
Veteran

If it has gelled you can add the PS 911 in the red bottle and it should clear it up. Have you checked your filter to see if the paraifin has crystalized?

Old 01-26-2008, 02:01 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

You can easily check to see if it is a fuel delivery problem (lift pump, frozen lines,etc.) by using a hand held pressure gauge. If you buddy has a $3000 MAC scanner I'm sure he has a $20 pressure gauge. Put it on the test port where the fuel line goes into the injector pump. If it is 0 then work your way backwards till you find the problem (fuel filter, lines,lift pump). If it is normal PSI then you have other issues.

Sounds to me like it is gelled fuel or water got into your system and froze. The same thing happened to me back in December when I put 10 gallons of fuel I bought in the summer in my truck. It got down to 25 over night and the next morning it would not start, but ran fine the day before. If it is ice, get some "Heat" brand fuel treatment (red bottle is for diesel, don't use yellow bottle). It will unfreeze the water. If it is gelled fuel, Diesel 911 will do the trick. If your not sure which it is, try the 911 first.

Quick Reply: Truck won't START!!!