Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Brain Bustin Idea

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 05:59 PM
KillerCummins
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brain Bustin Idea

Ok guys, I just got this idea. We pump fuel into our tanks that may contain debris, and let the filter clean it before sending it to the engine. This works, exept, we also dread having crud in our tanks that may accumulate over time and eventually clog the fuel system and make us get off our butts and have to drop the tank and clean everything out. Ok, here is my idea.... What if we were to create a pre-tank filter, that we can push onto the nozzle of the diesel pump at the station, using the preasure of the station pump to push the fuel through the filter, and then have fuel(which we know is clean) fill our tanks. We could even use the same kind of filter that is already on the truck. What do yall think???

Old 01-26-2008, 06:12 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker
Default RE: Brain Bustin Idea

what i think is i thought of this idea and ill have it pattented b4 you

nah, just kiddin! but for real i think this wouldent be a bad idea, you would just have to do a lot of foot work to get stations to go thru the trouble to add it.

on another thought[:-]....... isnt there already a filter attatched the the hose on the pump already?!?!

Old 01-26-2008, 06:42 PM
burban2002
Veteran

I think he means something that fits over the nozzle of the pump--something you could bring with you and put one when you fill up. It would be cool to have something that would remove the water too as it is being pumped in

Old 01-26-2008, 06:50 PM
04QC4X4
Captain

Good Ideas.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:15 PM
pevaguy

Sounds like a good idea, but with a few problems that would have to be overcome: (1)By putting it on the filler nozzle, the automatic shutoff would sut the nozzle off as soon as you started despensing. (2) What do you do with the dripping smelly filter after you finish filling with it? I don't think you want to stash it in the glove compartment.
The best bet is to not fuel at a station while the tanker is dropping fuel in the stations tank, stirring up the crud in the bottom of the storeage tank. Also try to buy fuel from stations that sell a fair amount of fuel, not the one that sells maybe 100 gal. a week. Most station pumps have a strainer/filter to catch some of the trash. Just cahnge you filter on the truck regularly and that should be all you need unless you get a bad bagtch of fuel. As for water in the fuel, there is one trick that a station will never admit useing: In general, the pumps stop pumping before the tank is really empty, leeving a fair amount that can't be pumped. The trick is to stick a garden hose in the drop pipe and add water. Fuel (and gass) is lighter than water so it "floats" and they can keep pumping. The hard part is decideing how much water is too much so that the pump dosen't pickup the water also.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Make a strainer type basket to put into the fuel tube that stays in there, then you can take it out to clean after a certain amount of time. However as pevaguy mentioned, the auto shutoff on the nozzle would probably trip.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:33 PM
burban2002
Veteran

hmm, if you could allow some sort of space so that the fuel can still flow, it would not shut off. The only problem is that the filter would have to let stuff pass through it pretty quickly. This could get complicated pretty quickly, especially if an auxilary pump had to be used to suck the fuel through something like a water/fuel separator. As for the mess, a tuperware container in the bed might work.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:29 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

nickcoletti is right; the fuel is already filtered on the hose that comes out of the pump.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:43 PM
burban2002
Veteran

That is true, but I don't think it is good enough. Water still gets through along with other junk. Over on cumminsforum I read about a few people who have had problems with their injectors and dodge refuses to warranty them.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well. . .you could always plumb up a high flow low pressure pump with a filter that just circulated the fuel back into the tank, that way it would continously filter the fuel.

Quick Reply: Brain Bustin Idea