Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Turbo's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008 | 07:38 PM
woligator
Record Breaker
Default RE: Turbo's?

i didnt said the superB was better than the special,its a bit smaller so it spool faster but produce around 40psi,special is around 60psi whit slower spool,twin are around 75Psi but since the little turbo spool fast during the time the big is gaining speed u dont notice u got a big turbo that the reason to go whit a small one and a big one.

I noticed right away the difference,nothing to compare,whit a programmer alone u wont be able to go over 1100 period.before the turbo i was quickly to 1400+and much more power and if u produce black smoke it will be way lessssssss .
for the manifold u wont gain anything whit this,save the stock warp prone manifold tendency to crack there is no difference at all. and when u buy the twin system there is one included

Old 02-02-2008 | 05:33 PM
NCcummins
|
Record Breaker

so you have which one?....and so pretty much less black smoke but a lot more power? i guess i can live with that...haha....i believe i am going go with the 60psi one...sounds better for me i believe..

thanks for the help....wont be going with twins though anytime soon, so am going to get the ATS exhaust manifold as mine is going to if not already cracked yet..

thanks again woligator!

Old 02-02-2008 | 05:50 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: NCcummins

Garret good? what about BD? i have no idea about turbos?
Yes, Garret VERY good!

(see sig)

Old 02-03-2008 | 10:39 PM
cmnspwr
Veteran

I may be partial to twins but if your going to get the SuperB Special, then you can hold twins. Just wastegate them at a safe level. My brother has his twins wastegated at 56 I believe but are defiantely capable of more. Although a little pricey, twins are the way to go IMO.

Old 02-03-2008 | 10:44 PM
woligator
Record Breaker

i got the superB and when u produce tons of black smoke ur wasting fuel,now whit this turbo there is less black smoke its mean im burning this fuel so more power...
ive just added more fuel whit my edge comp so more black smoke too so im looking for more air to burn that fuel...

the special is a good turbo indeed,its cost way less than twin and take less space but its depend on ur end result goal

Old 02-03-2008 | 10:55 PM
BC847
Rookie

Umm, last I heard was the OEM/stock head gasket reliability goes south at about 55psig.

Higher boost numbers will usually require O-rings at a minimum. Studs compliment the rings nicely.

Keep in mind larger singles usually come with higher drive pressures that threaten the head gasket as well.Lower drive pressures areone of the sparkles with twins.

If you're trying to keep the EGT's in check, consider a simpler, more reliable mod such as an aftermarket cam. Typically one can expect quicker spooling i addition to perhaps as much as a 200*F drop in EGTs.

Y'all keep talking vaguely about the compressor side of the turbo. What size exhaust housing is suggested to mate with the compressor?

It's all rather pricey to be just bolting stuff on in the hopes it'll work.

Quick Reply: Turbo's?