Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

First Timer

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 12:48 AM
bballmac42
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Timer

Well, as i do whenever i get a new vehicle, i register for a forum, and i landed here. I just purchased , well....more of traded my way into a 1998(.5) ram 2500 ext. cab shortbox CTD. It's got the 24v in it. I traded my 93 chiv 4x4 plus some cash for it, knowing that the dodge needed some work. It has a 4" lift on it. The truck itself is in pretty good shape, its got 150k on it. It has stage 2 injectors, and 5" exhaust all the way back. I picked it up on yesterday, and took it straight to the tranny shop. So i am anxious to get in this beast. I just was wondering about another issue it currently has and if anyone here would be able to offer any advice. Steering...... Its so loose that i can turn the wheel around 1/2 - 3/4 turn before moving the wheels! also, i turn the wheel to the right all the way and the tiresturn all the way,its normal. i turn the wheel to the leftall the way til the steering wheel stops, and the wheels arent turned all the way. Meaning my turning radius turning right, is better then turning left. lol. I think its because of all the play in the wheel obviously, but am wondering typically what component it is. Any advice or knowledge?

Old 02-03-2008, 02:38 AM
Little Foot
Veteran
Default RE: First Timer

just a guess, but sounds like when the person installing the lift put the drop pitman arm off by 1 set of teeth. find another one in your area stock or lifted and check the angle of the pitman arm and compare it to yours.

Welcome to the forum and post pics when you get them.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:39 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

+1. and congrats on getting the Cummins. you will enjoy it for years to come. Pics posted are now needed.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:41 PM
bballmac42
Rookie

haha thanks guys. I think i made out on the deal. I got rid ofa truck thats suspension was in need of attention up front, and picked up a somewhat low mileadge cummins.The pitman arm would make sense for the turning radius problem, but what about all the play in the steering. I need to get that figured out so idonthave to overcorrect the steering with 3/4 of a turn of the wheel. Anyone?
P.S. ill getsomepics up as soon as shes out of the shop this week. im excited!

Old 02-03-2008, 02:45 PM
HKA

Hey guys first time posting here hope I can help a little. Most pitman shafts have a double tooth, so as to make it difficult to get off center. The steering gear box is at its tightest at top dead center, then gets looser left or right of center. If in fact you could get the arm to shaft off center, that would cause less steering radiusleft or right and more than normal play in the wheel when driving down the highway.This also is a common problem when the pitman shaft it self gets twisted, and more dangerous too I might add. The shaft if twisted could sheer, not a good thing. If this problem exists the steering wheel would be bad out of ailgn, unless some one adjusted the tie-rod ends to compensate for this. Any way a simple visual inspection should tell all, if you know what your looking for. Hope this helps.

Old 02-03-2008, 04:46 PM
bballmac42
Rookie

right, ill check on the pitman arm when the tranny is done but as far as play, could that be linked to the track bar? steering stabilizer? i know the ball joints are newer, so im assuming thats not it. I think youd have to see this to believe how "loose" this steering is. I havent seen anything this bad before

Old 02-03-2008, 05:01 PM
hocheck
Rookie

In my 98 3500 the steering was real sloppy. I could turn the wheel almost a full turn before the wheels would turn. It was the track bar.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:20 PM
bballmac42
Rookie

yesss that is what i needed to hear. lol a definitive "thats what i found it was". Sounds like i have the same issue. Thank you

Old 02-03-2008, 06:02 PM
JD1500
Record Breaker

our farm rig had that problem a trac bar took care of it, but it could very well be the pitman arm as stated, check both

Old 02-03-2008, 07:12 PM
bballmac42
Rookie

now comes the question. do i need an adjustable track bar because of my lift? or can i get away with buying a stock replacementtrack bar?

Quick Reply: First Timer