Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

i got screwed with...idk what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 11:31 AM
bballmac42
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i got screwed with...idk what to do?

Well as some of you may know i just picked up a 98.5 ram 2500 ctd. I knew the tranny was going on it, but it was a good enough deal to justify picking it up and fixing it. So i trusted this guys description of the vehicle and started moving forward on the deal. I drove 3& 1/2 hours pulling my old truck on the trailer to give on a partial trade. everything LOOKED to be what he described and i drove it, so it seemed a go. Pull it home and drop it straight at the tranny shop. Get a call this morning....the tranny shop wont even test drive it because the guy i TRUSTED failed to mention the broken FRAME!!!!!!! i dont even know what im gonna do now...im out of money...a truck ....

Old 02-04-2008, 11:33 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion
Default RE: i got screwed with...idk what to do?

did you call the guy and make him aware to see if he offers any reimbursement. if not I would look into small claims for atleast 5,000.00 back

Old 02-04-2008, 11:37 AM
bballmac42
Rookie

no see the thing was, it wasnt from a dealer.... this guy used to work construction, but he doesnt anymore, therefore the reason (or so i thought) for getting rid of the diesel. he wanted a smaller truck....so thats where my chevy came in. I gave him my truck and a couple thousand for it. And i figured, hey, well if i fix the trans, then its a pretty good deal. Well, apparently the frame just....slipped his mind. I feel like i got played for a fool. because honestly, this is my 6th car and ive been driving for 3 years, and looking at the frame by the steering box is generally not something i look for....

Old 02-04-2008, 11:54 AM
chouseal
Veteran

On one hand, there's the old "let the buyer beware" rule... on the other, if you asked him to tell you of any significant damage and he said there was none (other than the tranny), then you've got a case of misrepresentation.

I don't buy or sell vehicles often, but I have a mental list of quite a few very specific questions to ask, just for this purpose. If I don't ask and they don't tell, it's my problem. If I ask and they lie, it's their problem, and in a big way.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:59 AM
bballmac42
Rookie

I made very very sure to ask this man NUMEROUS times if that was ALL the issues it had with it. He told me on the phone and to my face that that was the only real issue with it. If there was some way i could nail this guy for what he did, i would love too. Im a trusting guy when it comes to people, and this just makes me re-think my mindset on trusting people.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:05 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

I hate to say it but there isn't anything you can do other than call the buy and try to work something out. If you go to court, the judge is going to jump your case for not checking out the truck before you bought it.When the judgeasks the guy if he knew the frame was broke, he is going to say "No", so the judge can't rule in your favor for misrepresentation.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:14 PM
bballmac42
Rookie

yea thats what i figured....its just a shame. When you are a certain way (i being trusting) and then someone messes with you. Its a bad feeling when you know youve been suckered

Old 02-04-2008, 01:00 PM
jakebrake
Champion

You gotta picture of the frame? We gotta a lot of metal workers here that can give you suggestions on how to get this fixed.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

I got messed with by a dealer the same way, ended up getting hosed on the deal too

Old 02-04-2008, 01:52 PM
bballmac42
Rookie

just found out its gonna cost me in upwards of another thousand dollars to have it fixed. I feel sick, because its not just the fact that i got hosed by this guy, but im in school full time, and have to pay for it. Not like i have all this money layin around to fix a truck that i thought wouldnt need any of this. Some people are just snakes

Quick Reply: i got screwed with...idk what to do?